When you specify Novec 1230 fluid, you can be assured that the agent will provide the reliability, quality, performance and safety that you have come to expect from 3M. Here’s why Novec 1230 fluid is unique among clean agents:
1. No other manufacturer of FK-5-1-12 clean agent compares with 3M’s available resources, brand promise and commitment to support our OEMs and customers with our global professional laboratory, sales and marketing experts.
2. 3M offers the exclusive 20-year 3M™ Blue Sky℠ Warranty as part of the 3M™ Novec™ 1230 fluid brand. This protects owners of fire suppression systems containing 3M™ Novec™ 1230 Fire Protection Fluid from regulatory bans or restrictions on the fluid. No other FK-5-1-12 manufacturer offers a similar warranty backed by a recognized and trusted brand and a company with a 116-year history.
3. The quality and reliability of the OEM system must be considered when specifying a clean agent fire suppression system. When used in a fire suppression system manufactured by a 3M authorized OEM, end users and facility managers gain the confidence that comes from over 17 years of experience in providing a safe and reliable high-quality clean agent for Novec 1230 based clean agent fire suppression systems.
4. Novec 1230 fluid is manufactured at an ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 registered facility. ISO 9001 and 14001 are marks of high quality and consistency in the manufacturing industry.
5. Underwriters Laboratory (UL) does not publish design concentrations in the published listings. When comparing clean agent performance, it should not be assumed that Novec 1230 fluid from 3M and alternatively manufactured FK-5-1-12 agents with UL approval have identical extinguishing performance across all classes of fires.
6. UL does not recognize recovered Novec 1230 fluid or alternatively sourced FK-5-1-12 as identical to new Novec 1230 fluid under the Novec 1230 fluid branded component recognition. Therefore, the only way to source UL recognized Novec 1230 fluid is from 3M or one of our 3M Authorized OEMs.
7. FM Approvals takes a different viewpoint, recognizing recovered Novec 1230 fluid as FM Approved but only after the Novec 1230 fluid is re-certified by 3M to meet identical purity and quality as new manufactured product. Be aware of these requirements for recovered FK-5-1-12. Know the difference and understand what you are getting.
8. Fire extinguishing performance varies in published FM Approvals when comparing different FK-5-1-12 brands. Specifying 3M™ Novec™ 1230 Fire Protection Fluid by brand is the only way to ensure your system will be supplied with Novec 1230 fluid, a sustainable clean agent with a proven track record of performance, quality and safety with over 50,000 installations installed in over 90 countries in the past 17 years.
9. Minimum extinguishing concentrations documented by FM Approvals are limited to Class A and Class B values only. The predominant use of halocarbon clean agents is to protect high value electronics, mission critical facilities and data centers – categorized as Class C fires. It’s important to understand the difference between clean agents and fire suppression systems for Class C performance and how the extinguishing concentration is calculated. Specify 3M Novec 1230 fluid to ensure you are specifying a fire suppression system optimized to protect all your most critical assets.
Revised October 2018