- Bonds to rough or highly irregular surfaces, where a highly conformable tape is required
- Developed using the technology of 3M™ Acrylic Foam Tape
- Applies to many substrates used for automotive parts, often without special surface treatment
- Helps reduce staining on the bonded surfaces because it is made of a high molecular weight acrylic material
- Demonstrates excellent initial adhesion and static performance against substrates with uneven surfaces
- Exhibits good workability due to high tape modulus, ease of cutting and wet-out
- Excels in extreme weather, heat and solvent resistance
Our 3M™ Wire Harness Tape 5078, Black, is a 1.0 mm (0.040 inch) thick, black, double-sided acrylic tape. It's designed to bond to rough or highly irregular surfaces, or in sealing and other applications where a highly conformable tape is required.
Excellent initial adhesion, heat resistance and durability compared to conventional butyl sealing tape
3M™ Wire Harness Tape 5078 is a double-sided acrylic foam tape with excellent initial adhesion, heat resistance and durability compared to conventional butyl sealing tapes. Common uses include bonding to rough or highly irregular surfaces, sealing and other applications where a highly conformable tape is required. 3M™ Wire Harness Tape 5078 uses the technology of 3M™ Acrylic Foam Tape, which has been used for vehicle interior and exterior part attachment for more than forty years.
- Bonding of cellular urethane, polystyrene and polypropylene parts
- Securing wire harnesses to headliners
- Bonding impact relaxation pads to door panels
- Attaching interior trim
3M™ Acrylic Foam Tapes, the tape technology on which 3M™ Wire Harness Tape is based, are proven high-performance attachment systems for bonding automotive accessory and trim parts. These double-coated tapes combine acrylic adhesives with viscoelastic foam cores. Typical applications for 3M Acrylic Foam Tapes include attaching trim parts and bonding seals throughout the car body. Utilizing advanced technology, 3M™ Acrylic Foam and Acrylic Plus Attachment Tapes are designed to adhere to a wide variety of paint systems, including low surface energy and improved scratch- and mar-resistant paints. They exhibit unique core properties that allow for stress relaxation and exhibit high adhesion values to automotive paint systems.
Better Science for Better Adhesion from 3M
Since 1925 when a 3M lab assistant invented masking tape, 3M has been applying science to life — developing adhesive products and technologies that help entire industries and individual businesses worldwide. The work that began with a single 3M engineer now spans decades and generations — and all of it goes into each 3M product developed for automotive OEM, like 3M™ Wire Harness Tape 5078.