- Increases potential load and peak torque in bolt connections
- Allows lighter weight, more compact joint designs
- Exhibit good corrosion resistance
- Allows same bolt connection to transmit significantly higher torque loads
- Simple drop-in solution typically requires no modifications to component design
3M™ Friction Shims allow higher power densities in automotive and other applications by enhancing friction between joint components. These nickel-coated steel shims feature partially embedded diamonds, and when placed between two engine parts the diamonds press into the surface to significantly increase friction between the parts.
Tribosystem with 3M™ Friction Shim (This figure is intended as a guide)
Higher Torque. Same Bolt Connection.
In automotive engineering
(PDF, 310.27 Kb), wind energy and many other industries, there is a general trend towards compact, lightweight designs with maximum power density — and high reliability. However, in order to transfer high loads in friction joints such as shaft-collar or bolt connections, the size or number of components typically needs to be increased. 3M™ Friction Shims offer a proven and cost-effective alternative: by increasing the coefficient of friction between components, they allow transmission of up to 4x higher torques — without requiring modification to the joint design.
Proven Reliability in a Variety of Industries
We have supplied millions of 3M friction shims for demanding automotive and motor sports applications, power generation
(PDF, 1.96 Mb) and other industries where components must be reliably joined together to transmit forces and torques. Our technical specialists have many years of industrial experience, and conduct in-house testing to meet our customers' specific requirements. Thanks to this expertise and extensive testing, we have over 100 million friction shims in use with no reported failures in the field.
- Central bolt designs in crankshafts and camshafts
- ontinuous variable timing
- Balancer shaft modules
- Shaft-to-collar connections