3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TAI3027 is thin, lightweight mat material engineered specifically for automotive sound absorption. It features an internal PP/PE web, an overall thickness of 18mm and a basis weight of 315 g/m2 with excellent compressibility and recovery. A 100% polypropylene scrim reinforces the web and is calendered for extra abrasion resistance during and after installation.
Excellent sound absorbing properties useful in many automotive interior applications
A Material Designed for Automotive Acoustic Performance
Part of our extensive family of acoustic absorbers for automotive OEM, 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TAI3047
(PDF, 281 Kb) is a very low density (17.5 kg/m3
) insulation and an excellent NVH material for applications where mass reduction is a major goal. Its internal web features thick and thin fibers and is designed specifically to absorb vibration and help reduce unwanted noise from traveling throughout vehicles.
Built for Lasting Noise Absorption
The internal web of the product is composed of a combination of polyester (PE) and polypropylene (PP) fibers. The PP fibers are extremely fine, allowing for high-energy absorption without adding weight. The thicker PE fibers add loft, strength and stability to the web. The lightweight reinforcing white scrim on both sides is made from 100% polypropylene non-woven fabric for durability. The scrim on Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation TAI3047 is calendered for smoothness and for added resistance to abrasion.
Properties of 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TAI3047
This acoustic insulation mat material has a caliper of 18 mm and a basis weight of 315 gm/m2
. Fibers are contained in a single calendered scrim.
Compressible and Conformable for a Range of Applications
Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation TAI3047 is designed for excellent compressibility and recovery. This is ideal for application to vertical surfaces in vehicle cabins, such as inside door panels and for stuffing pillars. Its light weight properties also makes it effective for non-load bearing horizontal surfaces, such as package trays, luggage compartments and headliners, for extremely consistent noise absorption throughout the application.
Our Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation TAI3047 can be processed by conventional techniques such as die cutting. It attaches easily using ultrasonic welding, hot melt adhesive or mechanical fasteners.
Reasons Why Automotive Manufacturers Choose 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation
- Door trim panels
- Door hole seals
- Head liners
- Wheel wells
- Trunk liners
- Vehicle pillars
- Instrument panels
- Parcel trays
The Science Behind How Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation Absorbs Noise
- Quieter Vehicles. Provides highly efficient acoustic absorption, particularly in middle- to high-frequency ranges.
- Lighter Vehicles. Thinsulate acoustic insulation products are made from lightweight polyester and polypropylene non-woven fibers.
- Easy to Install. Lightweight and easy to handle compared fiberglass, shoddy, felt and PET.
- Mold, Mildew and Moisture Resistant. Install just the insulation there's no need for an additional waterproof layer during application. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is also resistant to mildew growth, reducing the risk of offensive odors.
- Efficient Assembly. Attach our acoustic insulation using a variety of methods including ultrasonic welding, double-sided tape or mechanical clips.
- Manufacturing Support. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is supported by a global network of 3M experts. Custom die cutting services are available.
All sound is transmitted through the air as waves. These acoustic waves oscillate at differing frequencies. When oscillating waves contact the fine fibers of our Thinsulate acoustic insulation, the resulting friction turns their acoustic energy into heat. The heat irreversibly dissipates and reduces sound. As a result, 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation applied to automotive interiors reduces interior noise for a quieter, more comfortable ride.