3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TH4320 is engineered specifically for automotive sound absorption in auto applications requiring thin mats. It features an internal PP/PE web, an overall thickness of just 16 mm and a basis weight as low as 260 g/m2 with excellent compressibility and recovery. Membranes on one or both sides of a single scrim protect the fibers and add acoustic performance.
Designed for excellent compressibility and recovery
Built for Lasting Noise Absorption
The internal web of the product is comprised of a combination of polyester (PE) and polypropylene (PP) fibers. The PP fibers are extremely fine, allowing for high-energy absorption without adding weight. The thicker PE fibers add loft, strength and stability to the web. A reinforcing scrim and exterior membranes attached to one or both sides enhance acoustic performance.
Properties of 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TH4320
This acoustic insulation material has a caliper of 16 mm. Its basis weight with a single exterior membrane is 260 g/m2, and 302 gm/m2 with membranes attached to both sides. Fibers are also protected by a single acoustic scrim which has been surface treated for abrasion resistance.
Compressible and Conformable
Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation TH4320 is designed for excellent compressibility and recovery. It is very thin yet carries a similar density to thicker Thinsulate acoustic insulation products, making it effective for non-load bearing surfaces inside automobile cabins. This product is ideal for installation behind instrument panels.
Effective for non-load bearing surfaces inside automobile cabins. This product is ideal for installation behind instrument panels
Versatility Built In
Our Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation TH4320 can be processed by conventional techniques such as die cutting. It attaches easily using ultrasonic welding, hot melt adhesive or mechanical fasteners. Choose Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation TH4320 with an exterior membrane on one side to face the noise source for enhanced acoustic performance, or with membranes on both sides to save tooling and installation costs.
Why Automotive Manufacturers Choose 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation
The Science Behind How Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation Absorbs Noise
- Quieter Vehicles. Provides highly efficient acoustic absorption, particularly in middle- to high-frequency ranges.
- Lighter Vehicles. Thinsulate acoustic insulation products are made from lightweight polyester and polypropylene non-woven fibers.
- Easy to Install. Lightweight and easy to handle compared fiberglass, shoddy, felt and PET
- Mold, Mildew and Moisture Resistant. Install just the insulation — there's no need for an additional waterproof layer during application.
- Efficient Assembly. Attach our acoustic insulation using a variety of methods including ultrasonic welding, double-sided tape or mechanical clips.
- Manufacturing Support. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is supported by a global network of 3M experts. Custom die cutting services are available.
All sound is transmitted through the air as waves. These acoustic waves oscillate at differing frequencies. When oscillating waves contact the fine fibers of our Thinsulate acoustic insulation, the resulting friction turns their acoustic energy into heat. The heat irreversibly dissipates and reduces sound. As a result, Thinsulate acoustic insulation applied to automotive interiors reduces interior noise for a quieter, more comfortable ride.