Our 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TAI4027 is engineered specifically for automotive sound absorption in a thin, lightweight mat material. With an overall thickness of 26 mm and a basis weight of 415 g/m2, this material features excellent compressibility and recovery. A 100% polypropylene scrim protects and reinforces the web.
Thinsulate™ materials come in a range of thicknesses to suit different frequency needs
Reasons Why Automotive Manufacturers Choose 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation
- Door trim panels
- Door hole seals
- Head liners
- Wheel wells
- Trunk liners
- Vehicle pillars
- Instrument panels
- Parcel trays
The Science Behind How Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation Absorbs Noise
- Quieter Vehicles. Provides highly efficient acoustic absorption, particularly in middle- to high-frequency ranges.
- Lighter Vehicles. Thinsulate acoustic insulation products are made from lightweight polyester and polypropylene non-woven fibers.
- Easy to Install.Lightweight and easy to handle compared fiberglass, shoddy, felt and PET.
- Mold, Mildew and Moisture Resistant. Install just the insulation – there’s no need for an additional waterproof layer during application. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is also resistant to mildew growth, reducing the risk of offensive odors.
- Efficient Assembly. Attach our acoustic insulation using a variety of methods including ultrasonic welding, double-sided tape or mechanical clips.
- Manufacturing Support. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is supported by a global network of 3M experts. Custom die cutting services are available.
All sound is transmitted through the air as waves. These acoustic waves oscillate at differing frequencies. When oscillating waves contact the fine fibers of our Thinsulate acoustic insulation, the resulting friction turns their acoustic energy into heat. The heat irreversibly dissipates and reduces sound. As a result, 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation applied to automotive interiors reduces interior noise for a quieter, more comfortable ride.