- Spray, brush or roller application meets a variety of process requirements
- Specifically designed to work with 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Structural Adhesive AF 31
- Corrosion inhibiting pigment provides protection inside the bondline
- Promotes long-term durability in bonded joints
- Stable coating protects etched and anodized substrates for long-term storage
- Provides a solvent resistant coating when cured at 250°F for durable protection
- Can be co-cured with adhesives at 350°F to accommodate a variety of requirements
We developed 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Structural Adhesive Primer EC-2174 to promote long-term durability for joints in metal bonding applications. This solvent-based adhesive primer is especially effective with 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Structural Adhesive AF 31. Our formula dries at ambient temperature and cures to a tough coating in contact with an adhesive film.
Promoting Corrosion Control
||Tan (Clear in thin films)
||(Brookfield RVF, #1 Spindle, 20 rpm at 80°F [27°C]) 8-18 cps
||10 ± 1% (2 gram samples at 350°F [177°C] for 30 minutes)
||6.9 ± .2 lbs./gallon
||20°F (-7°C) (Closed Cup)
Our formula provides corrosion protection inside the bondline. And to make matters easier, EC-2174 heat cures to form a protective coating against corrosion. When cured at 250°F, EC-2174 provides a solvent resistant coating for long-term durable protection. The stable coating also protects etched and anodized substrates for long-term storage.
The Primer Difference
3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Structural Adhesive Primer EC-2174 helps protect surfaces against corrosion. Additionally, this primer can help improve production rates by offering high transfer efficiency for less overspray waste and quick flash off for no wait-time between passes. Let our unparalleled technical service and support show you how this primer can make a difference to your primer line. 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Structural Adhesive Primer EC-2174 also offers these benefits:
Primed for Take-Off
- Excellent corrosion protection
- Robust mechanical performance
- Impressive hot/wet durability
- Serves 350°F co-cure requirements
- Sprayable, brush or roller application for a variety of process options
In general, 3M Scotch-Weld™ structural adhesive primers complement the Scotch Weld™ Structural Adhesives portfolio
and can be used to protect prepared substrates to be bonded. They facilitate "wet-out" of the primary adhesive agent to facilitate the bond between substrate and coating extrudate, and then are cured to enhance chemical resistance. Our adhesive primers help prepare the surfaces for the bonding agents and improve the conditions so that the adhesives are more effective and create stronger, longer lasting bonds.
Our Best for Your Best
3M is proud to partner with organizations across the spectrum of aerospace and related industries. Enabling efficiencies, reducing process times and lowering aircraft weight is how we execute our never-ending mission to offer best-in-class adhesives, sealants, surface protection products and composite resins that effectively reduce costs on multiple fronts. Professionals across the industry know the numerous advantages of 3M Aerospace
. Our brand is widely recognized for the highest standards of quality and performance, adding value to the final results. By engineering reliability, longevity and value into all of our products, we have a history of saving money by reducing waste, rework and time.