- Fast-cutting silicon carbide mineral leaves a consistent scratch pattern while reducing the need for heavy manual pressure
- May be used for paint prep
- Sands a variety of substrates, from metals to hardwoods
- Water-resistant polyester backing means cloth may be run wet or dry
- A good alternative for compounds and lubricants
Our 3M™ Wetordry™ Cloth Disc 481W was designed to help operators finish metal surfaces, as well as prep them for paint. Wetordry™ cloth may be run wet or dry and helps rid your workpiece of unwanted coatings and corrosion.
The Benefits of Cloth-Backed Discs
The cloth backing on this disc is a durable, water-resistant polyester screen. We engineer our 3M™ Wetordry™ products to include our proprietary waterproof cloth backing, which supports both wet and dry applications. Cloth-backed discs are known for their durability and flexibility; they're a good first choice when working with metal or for heavy wood stock removal. At the same time, these applications tend to produce a significant amount of dust, clogging the abrasive points and creating an inferior work environment. These effects may be minimized by sanding with water to rinse dust away from the workpiece and the abrasive surface.
Some technicians like using the abrasive dry, because they can quickly inspect the work. With wet sanding, water is used as a lubricant. This keeps the abrasive clear of loading and can prolong the life of the abrasive.