- As 3M employees celebrated 3M’s centennial anniversary, “3M Company” becomes the legal name for 3M—originally incorporated as Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company.
2004 – Milestone Sales
- For the first time in 3M’s history, sales topped $20 billion in large part to the innovative new products, such as Post-it® Super Sticky Notes, Scotch® Transparent Duct Tape, optical films for LCD televisions and a new family of Scotch-Brite® Cleaning Products that give consumers the right scrubbing power for a host of cleaning jobs.
2007 – Consumer Products Continue to Innovate
- The Scotch-Brite™ brand introduced the first disposable toilet scrubber with built-in bleach. Other products, such as Scotch-Blue™ Painter’s Tape for Corners and Hinges and the Scotch™ Fur Fighter™ Hair Remover designed to grip and trap pet hair embedded in upholstery, continued to exemplify innovative products designed to enhance the home environment.
2008 – Illuminating Developments
- Scientists developed a break-through, ultra-compact LED-illuminated projection engine for integration in personal electronic devices, including the 3M Micro Professional Mpro 110 projector, which has since evolved.
- In the wake of global concern around potential public health medical emergencies such as an influenza pandemic, various 3M respirators were the first to be cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use by the general public.
2009 – Analytical Sound Waves
- 3M’s healthcare business introduced the 3M Littmann® Electronic Stethoscope Model 3200, a next-generation auscultation device featuring Bluetooth wireless technology that transfers heart, lung and other body sounds to software for further analysis. These stethoscopes have successfully allowed doctors to study rural stroke victims and an astronaut on the International Space Station.
- Featuring a patented, ceramic abrasive grain shape, the 3M™ Cubitron™ II Fibre Discs and Metal Working Belts increased the life expectancy of abrasives in the grinding industry by as much as four times.
2012 – Channeling Solar Power
- Our Renewable Energy Division and Gossamer Space Frames unveiled the world’s largest aperture trough using 3M™ Solar Mirror Film 1100 for concentrated solar power.
2013 – Billion Dollar Milestone
- 3M topped $30 billion in sales around the globe.
2014 – Perfecting the Patent
- 3M reached an innovation milestone with the issuance of its 100,000th patent. Each year about 3,000 patents are issued to 3M worldwide, with more than 500 granted in the U.S.
2015 – Sweet 16
- 3M named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for 16 consecutive years.
2016 – Building Out Innovation
- 3M opened a state-of-the-art, research and development laboratory at the global headquarters in Maplewood, MN.
2017 – Staying Visibly Active
- A new type of 3M™ Scotchlite™ Reflective Material becomes an attractive product for athletic activewear manufacturers. The washable, stretchable and stain resistant product adheres to a variety of fabrics and becomes reflective when illuminated at night.