Greetings from 3M Cynthiana
3M is a global innovation company that never stops inventing. Over the years, we have worked to improve daily life for hundreds of millions of people all over the world. We have made driving at night easier, made buildings safer, and made consumer electronics lighter, less energy-intensive and less harmful to the environment. We even helped put a man on the moon.
Every day at 3M, one idea always leads to the next, igniting momentum to make progress possible around the world.
Welcome to 3M Cynthiana, Kentucky
3M Cynthiana manufactures iconic products that are shipped around the world. You might be surprised to learn just how much of what we do here touches your daily life. These are the products whose roots are right here:
- Post-it® Notes and Post-it® Easels
- Scotch® Package Protection Tapes
As an integral member of the community since 1969, we’ve been helping 3M bring innovative and useful products to generations of satisfied customers. One of the core values of 3M has always been our commitment to the communities where we live and work. We’re proud of the ways 3M and our employees give back to the community and region, from participating in volunteer activities, enhancing educational opportunities for current and future employees, to championing environmental efforts.
We feel fortunate to be part of the community of Cynthiana, Harrison County, and the Commonwealth of Kentucky. We are committed to making this a great place for families to live, work, and play.
- 3M Technology Advancing Every Company
- 3M Products Enhancing Every Home
- 3M Innovation Improving Every Life
- Active participation of all employees for continuous improvement in everything we do to increase customer satisfaction
- Create superior value by making what the customer wants, when they want it, at the lowest possible cost
- Unrelenting focus on the safety of our employees and the environment
- External customer focus with high quality products delivered to their requirements
- Continuous improvement in all areas as a manufacturing strategy for success
- Open and honest communications between all employees in order to promote fairness, recognize diversity, and build trust.
Message from the Plant Manager
Welcome to 3M Cynthiana! Our site supports some of 3M’s strategic brands which are household words in many areas around the world; Post-it ® Notes and Scotch ® Package Protection Tapes. We are part of 3M’s Stationery and Office Supplies Division within 3M Consumer Business Group, providing products which help to simplify our customer’s lives.
3M Cynthiana is the largest employer in Harrison County, with over 550 employees, traveling to our site from more than ten surrounding counties in the beautiful state of Kentucky to serve 3M customers worldwide. We offer diverse career opportunities including machine operators, industrial maintenance, engineers, supply chain/logistics, human resources, safety specialists, and manufacturing leadership positions.
Our employees are engaged, high energy and passionate about making a difference in our communities. 3M Cynthiana has a long-standing tradition of giving back to the communities that we work and live in. Each year, our employees participate in the local United Community Fund, volunteering and pledging generous monetary donations to be distributed to those in need. 3M Cynthiana has an active Community Affairs Team that works with 3Mgives to distribute local monetary donations to non-profit organizations each year. In addition to the annual 3Mgives distribution, 3M Cynthiana also supports larger scale projects through 3Mgives grant money, such as Hospice Building Fund, Project Lead the Way, Veteran’s Park, Harrison County Senior Citizens, Harrison County Memorial Hospital, and Maysville Community College in Cynthiana.
3M Cynthiana has a strong history and a bright future ahead!
Site Manager at 3M Cynthiana
History of 3M Cynthiana
The original location opened in a tobacco warehouse on Church Street in downtown Cynthiana in 1969. Soon after, a much larger facility was built to the south, on New Lair Road, which opened in 1970. Products manufactured were overhead projectors and copy machines. As technologies began to evolve, new product lines were introduced.
In 1984, the Post-it® Notes product line was moved to Cynthiana. A building expansion included coating bays, converting, and warehouse space.
In 1989, another major building expansion was created to house the new Tape Focus Factory. A film line, coating bay, and converting lines brought the first Scotch® Tape product line to Cynthiana.
A converting expansion for Post-it® Notes was added in 1997, for slitting, easel assembly, and other packaging equipment.
The Cynthiana plant size is currently 450,000 square feet.
3M Technology Platforms at Cynthiana include:
- Adhesives (Ad)
- Films (Fi)
- Molding (Mo)
- Predictive Engineering & Modeling (Pe)
- Precision Processing (Pp)
- Surface Modification (Su)
- Flexible Converting and Packaging (Fc)
- Inspection & Measurement (In)
- Integrated Systems (Is)
- Process Design and Control (Pr)
- Sensors (Se)
We are proud to be a high volume producer of iconic Post-it® Brand Products, including Post-it® Notes and Post-it® Easel products. We leverage 3M Science to deliver these products in multiple sizes, shapes, colors, and configurations, all focused on providing Superior productivity tools that help turn our customers’ thoughts into action.
We are also a high volume producer of Scotch® Package Protection Tapes. This product is sold in a variety of roll and dispenser forms, including multiple types and lengths. Its major uses include box sealing for moving and storage.
Cynthiana, Kentucky, is the county seat of Harrison County and is approximately 30 miles northeast of Lexington, Kentucky and 60 miles south of Cincinnati, Ohio. According to the 2010 census, the city's population was 6,402, with county population at 18,846. Cynthiana was the hometown of jazz drummer and bandleader William McKenney, former University of Kentucky Men's Basketball Coach Joe B. Hall, and Robert Kirkman, co-creator of The Walking Dead. Cynthiana has several factories which manufacture everything from hard hats to garbage trucks. The most well-known of these companies is 3M, the maker of Post-it® Notes and Scotch® Package Protection Tapes.
3M Cynthiana actively supports and promotes education, health, and community involvement through financial and product contribution, volunteerism, and corporate sponsored donations.
- Project Lead the Way
- United Community Fund
- Junior Achievement
- Ingenuity Grants
- Harrison County Schools
- Cynthiana Arts Council – Post-it® Notes Fashion Show
- Hospice of the Bluegrass
- Rohs Theatre Company
- 3M Product donations
- Cynthiana-Harrison Co. Chamber of Commerce Board
- Cynthiana-Harrison Co. Junior Achievement Board
- Cynthiana-Harrison Co. United Community Fund Board
- Cynthiana-Harrison Co. Rotary Club Board
- Cynthiana-Harrison Co. Lions Club Board
- Community Health Partnership-Employer Advisory Committee
- Harrison County Local Emergency Planning Commission
- Licking Valley Singers Community Choir
3M Employee Volunteer Projects
- Harrison County Senior Citizens Center
- Harrison County Home Assistance (build Habitat House)
- Harrison County Roadside Cleanup
- Harrison County Safety Day