Greetings from 3M Ames
3M is a global innovation company that never stops inventing. Over the years, we have worked to improve daily life for hundreds of millions of people all over the world. We have made driving at night easier, made buildings safer, and made consumer electronics lighter, less energy-intensive and less harmful to the environment. We even helped put a man on the moon.
Every day at 3M, one idea always leads to the next, igniting momentum to make progress possible around the world.
3M Ames, Iowa
Welcome and thank you for visiting the 3M Ames site.
3M Ames is a part of the 3M Abrasive Systems Division under the umbrella of our Industrial Business Group. In our Ames facility, we manufacture abrasive (sandpaper) products in thousands of different shapes and sizes, from sheets to discs. Many of the products we produce are used in the woodworking and metal working industries as well as the automotive aftermarket and home improvement industries.
- 3M Technology Advancing Every Company
- 3M Products Enhancing Every Home
- 3M Innovation Improving Every Life
- Year Plant Opened: 1970
- Products Manufactured: 12,000+
- Number of Division Business Partners: 7
History of 3M Ames
3M Ames began as a distribution center in June of 1970. In 1972, actual manufacturing operations began with the production of Brushlon™ and Sand-Pak™ products. Since then we've added numerous products to our manufacturing line causing our business in Ames to grow steadily, not only in sales to customers worldwide, but in job opportunities at our plant.
In 1997 our facility achieved ISO 9002 Registration, and in 2000 we achieved ISO 14001 Registration. We proudly affix the 3M Label to the products we make here at 3M Ames. Our most valuable resource is the people behind the product - our Ames workforce.
3M is a pioneer in developing and applying technologies in new and ground breaking ways. At 3M Ames, we utilize the following technologies:
- Abrasives (Ab)
- Acoustic Control (Ac)
- Adhesives (Ad)
- Advanced Materials (Am)
- Analytical Science and Technology (An)
- Ceramics (Ce)
- Electronics (Em)
- Films (Fi)
- Flexible Converting & Packaging (Fc)
- Mechanical Fasteners (Mf)
- Microreplication (Mr)
- Nonwovens (Nw)
- Polymer Melt Processing (Pm)
- Precision Processing (Pp)
- Process Design & Control (Pr)
- Radiation Processing (Rp)
- Surface Modification (Su)
At 3M Ames, we serve several 3M divisions and markets, which include:
- Abrasives Systems Division (ASD) – Industrial, Metal Working, Woodworking, Auto OEM
- Construction & Home Improvement Markets Division (CHIM) - Retail
- Automotive Aftermarket Division (AAD) - Collision Repair
Below are some of the products we manufacture:
- 3M Brushlon: Versatile, long-life industrial brushes used for metal finishing, metal deburring, wood defuzzing, and a variety of cleaning applications
- Stikit Disc Rolls: Light weight discs in convenient disc roll form for use on paint and wood
- PSA Disc Rolls: High strength pressure sensitive adhesive attachment system for high heat and severe disc sanding applications
- Roloc Discs: Provides a burr-free surface suitable for painting or coating
- Discs – Light Weight: Light weight discs for sanding and polishing wood, paint, metals, glass, and solid surface materials
- Clean Sanding Discs: Aluminum oxide Hookit discs with precise multiple hole design for improved dust extraction
- Hookit II Discs: The hook backing on these discs makes attachment easy for superior finishes on solid surface, painted panels, metal, and other substrates.
- Sheet Rolls: 3M offers a wide selection of cloth and paper sheets and paper sheet rolls for wet or dry applications.
- Sheets: For general purpose and hand sanding, we manufacture cloth and paper sheets and paper sheet rolls for wet or dry applications.
Ames is located in the central part of Iowa, just off I35 and Hwy 30, allowing easy access to the community and our 3M plant. Ames is a community of over 50,000 and the home of Iowa State University, the nation's first land grant university. 3M is one of the larger employers in the area along with many other manufacturing facilities.
The City of Ames, like other communities, is made up of parks, stores, homes, offices, industrial areas, shopping centers, and lots more.
More than 25,000 students attend Iowa State University, a comprehensive university known for excellence in science and technical fields and the arts and humanities. Iowa State has the largest undergraduate enrollment of any campus in Iowa and includes students from all 50 states and 112 other countries.
The Ames Community School District consists of eight elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. Ames High School is a four-year high school with an emphasis on college preparation. The school enjoys an excellent reputation within the state and nation.
The Iowa State Center regularly features leading rock, pop, country, and folk performers and popular Broadway shows for audiences ranging up to 14,000.
Iowa State University also brings big-time athletics to Ames. The university's athletic program offers 20 NCAA intercollegiate sports and participates in the prestigious Big 12 Conference.
Parks & Recreation
The Ames Park & Recreation Department offers endless recreational opportunities. Ames has 1,374 acres of park. Ames is a bicycle friendly community with more than 42 miles of bike paths throughout the community.
3M Ames and 3M employees are strong leaders and respected members in the communities where we live and work. 3M Ames strongly supports and encourages our employees and retirees to volunteer their time and talent. Our employees, on their own time, serve in areas of social service by volunteering on local fire departments as firefighters and EMTs, through area hospice agencies caring for ailing members of our community, and as leaders in Boys and Girls Club and Boy and Girl Scouts.
Our employees also donate their time and support as volunteer educators, coaches for community supported sports and recreation activities, as well as contributing financial support to our community United Way.
3M Ames provides support for local schools and non-profit agencies through leadership grants, mentoring, academic excellence, and Keys Institute grants. We arrange gift-in-kind donations through our employees and help fund local activities like After Prom, Iowa Games, Lighten Up Iowa, Special Olympics, Habitat for Humanity, and many more.