Our Thinnest Tape for Crisp, Sharp Lines
Our 3M™ Precision Masking Tape
(PDF, 317 Kb) is the thinnest tape we offer for automotive aftermarket applications. This makes it perfect for applications where sharp, low-profile paint edges are critical, including two-tone paint jobs, bumper blackout areas and painting around details such as nameplates and door handles. The tape is great for solvent and waterborne paint systems, producing crisp, sharp paint lines without seepage or edge bleed. Its ultra thin construction makes it semitransparent, so auto body professionals can place the tape accurately over and around crucial details for the closest precision paint jobs.
Goes On Smooth, Comes Off Clean
The backing of this high performance masking tape also unwinds smooth and is easily torn by hand, yet is strong enough to pull through multiple layers of clear coat and base. It is coated with an acrylic adhesive that adheres to metal, glass and painted surfaces. It also provides excellent UV resistance for outdoor applications, and won't transfer adhesive to the surface upon removal even after continued exposure to the elements. The combination of smooth, thin backing and even adhesion allows taping over freshly painted surfaces sooner with less chance of imprint damage.
Better Masking Tape from 3M
Masking tape was developed specifically to help protect surrounding surfaces from overspray, provide clean paint lines, and remove easily and cleanly when finished. 3M continuously improves its foundational products by applying science to make auto body paint jobs easier and more productive for auto body professionals. Masking tapes from 3M adhere well, resist solvents or water from the paint, and are strong enough to block seepage, yet remove cleanly without leaving residue or damaging the subsurface. These products hand tear for tool-free application. The classic crepe paper masking tape is a light tan color, but 3M™ Precision Masking Tape is light green and semitransparent so painters can better place it where precision edges are most required. It should be noted that some paper-backed masking tapes perform best for indoor purposes and may be difficult to remove after exposure to sunlight; look for UV resistance if you use masking tape outdoors or if you use UV cured paint systems.
Learn more about 3M™ Automotive Masking Tapes
(PDF, 250 Kb)
- Delivers Sharp Paint Lines: Adhesive Resists Lifting And Curling, Prevents Bleed Through, Helping To Maintain Sharp Paint Lines
- Super Thin For Two-Tone Paint Jobs: Thinnest 3M Auto Tape Won’T Leave High Paint Edges. Great For Two-Tone Paint Jobs, Bumper Blackout Areas And Painting Around Details Such As Nameplates And Door Handles
- Leaves No Residue, No Damage: Quick And Easy Removal, Helping Reduce Scraping And Scrubbing Of Residue
- See Through Tape: Semitransparent For Better Visibility Of What You Are Painting Over And Around.
- Use Indoors And Outdoors: Uv And Light Resistant
- Use On A Variety Of Surfaces: It Is Coated With An Acrylic Adhesive That Adheres To Metal, Glass And Painted Surfaces
- Easy To Unwind And Remove: Special 3M Backing Provides For Superior Control During Unwinding, Making It Less Likely The Tape Wrinkles Or Pulls Away.
- Works With Different Paint Systems: Compatible With Water Or Solvent Based Paint Systems.
- Works In Different Conditions: Tape Also Resists Temperatures Up To 250°F (121°C) For Up To 30 Minutes, Making It Suitable For Longer Baking Cycles.
- Save Time And Money: Tape And Roll Design Affords More Usable Tape Per Roll Vs. Lower-Priced Brands