- Premium glass cloth reinforced backing provides greater tensile strength and resistance to tears and punctures than typical PTFE film backed tapes
- Silicone adhesive offers high temperature performance and long aging
- Provides a non-stick, low friction surface on heat sealing and packaging equipment
- Performs under a wide range of temperatures, including up to 500°F/260°C
- Very low moisture absorption allows the tape to perform in many humid environments
- Excellent chemical resistance enables tape to withstand challenging applications
- Meet several aerospace specifications
Our premium performance 3M™ PTFE Glass Cloth Tape 5451 has a brown woven glass cloth backing impregnated with PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene). This tape provides a slick surface on process machinery and offers an extremely low coefficient of friction which, in combination with a pressure sensitive silicone adhesive, creates a non-stick surface that performs at elevated temperatures.
Heat shrink wrapping operations
For high strength applications requiring increased durability, look no further than our premium 3M™ PTFE Glass Cloth Tape 5451
(PDF, 312.90 Kb). Resistant to most chemicals, this reinforced PTFE tape provides a quick and durable solution to help reduce build-up on packaging and heat sealing machines. It functions as a longer-lasting, anti-stick or easy-release medium between surfaces where pressure, temperature changes and other factors may create a measure of adhesion. PTFE is chemical resistant and can be used as a temporary chemical barrier. The tape has a wide temperature use range, from -100°F/-73°C to 500°F/260°C, making it suitable for a variety of high temperature applications.
What is PTFE?
- Heat sealing machines
- Ironing and pressing equipment
- High temperature bundling
- Mold release in composite bonding
- Provides a good barrier for the separation of dissimilar parts
Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic material used in a variety of industries and applications to reduce the coefficient of friction. Because of its non-stick properties and high heat resistance, PTFE is used as a non-stick coating for frying pans and other cookware. It makes an excellent insulating material for electrical applications because of its non-conductivity. PTFE is non-reactive to numerous chemicals, due to the chemical resistance of fluoropolymer bonds; making it effective in containers and pipework for reactive and corrosive substances. PTFE reduces friction, wear and energy efficiency of machinery. Because of its low friction, PTFE is used in industrial applications where sliding action of parts is required, such as with bearings, gears, slide plates, etc. In these applications, it delivers significantly better performance than nylon or acetal. 3M has taken this versatile compound through an extrusion process to create a thin film, then paired the film with 3M's unique pressure sensitive adhesives to make these PTFE tapes. Innovative, high performance 3M PTFE tapes are reliable, durable and reduce friction.