- Made with a strong proprietary metal alloy excellent for truing superabrasive resin bond diamond and CBN wheels
- Will effectively true straight ODs, angles, side walls, and even centerless grinding wheels
- Must be used without coolant
- Available in 1/4, 3/8, 5/8, and 1/2 inch diameters to suit wheels of similar thickness
- Use with 3M™ Holding Block (sold separately) for mounting
- Eye protection is necessary to ensure operator safety
Specially constructed with a proprietary alloy, our 3M™ DSD Truing Tool performs precision shaping of resin-bonded diamond and CBN wheels. The tool helps operators obtain the smoothest, most precise wheel performance possible by bringing balance and even surfaces back to the wheel after repeated use. It trues straight ODs, angles, or sides of these wheels without requiring the use of a coolant.
- 1/4" tool Use on diamond or CBN wheels with up to 1/4" width
- 3/8" tool Use on diamond or CBN wheels with up to 3/8" width
- 1/2" tool Use on diamond or CBN wheels up to 5/8" width
- 5/8" tool Use on large wheels including centerless (use on O.D. of the tool)
When the tool is in use, it is necessary to engage a moderate to fast tool feed to eliminate unnecessary tool wear. Running the truing tool at too slow a speed will wear the tool without properly modifying the wheel. An active sparking interface between tool and wheel is the desired effect. Likewise, the appropriate wheel downfeed must be set for successful shaping, and is determined by the hardness and grit size of the wheel. See the tool instructions for tool positioning, recommended downfeeds, and directions for centerless wheels.
Learn more about Metalworking solutions
(PDF, 13 Mb)
Important Safety Precautions
The use of grinding wheels requires extra safety precautions, and this applies when using truing tools as well. We recommend that operators always wear eye protection and use good grinding practices regarding ventilation.
An Important Task
Truing and dressing are important maintenance processes required to keep expensive superabrasive grinding wheels cutting consistently. These applications also help you extend the lifespan of your superabrasive wheels and protect the grinding tools that run them. Recently trued and dressed grinding wheels have fresh cutting edges that grind quickly and evenly on metal surfaces, which increases throughput and improves quality. Thus, effective truing and dressing should be an integral part of any workshop that uses superabrasive wheels regularly.
Learn more about superabrasive products
(PDF, 2 Mb)