- Cartridges contain activated carbon immobilized within the filter matrix and eliminate need for handling bulk powdered carbon
- Offered in a range of commercial activated carbons to match specific application requirements
- Three media porosities match changing fluid viscosities and particle loading
- Cartridges can be paired with Zeta Plus™ SP Series filter cartridges or capsules to optimize filtration and purification performance over a broad range of fluid challenges
- Full range of scalable filters enables predictable performance at every stage of drug development from early stage discovery to commercial production
- BC25 Laboratory capsules, media discs and stainless housings are ideal for selecting the best media grade using low challenge fluid volume
- Totally enclosed, sanitary design filter cartridge housing that significantly reduces time required for cleaning between batches and reduces operator exposure to harmful solvent fumes.
- Easy to install filter cartridges.
- Improves worker safety.
- FDA Drug Master File, Biological Safety, Regulatory Support File & Certificate of Quality eases validation and regulatory submissions from benchtop to production.
We designed the 3M™ Zeta Plus™ Activated Carbon Series Filter Cartridge to meet the need for a broad array of pharmaceutical manufacturing applications. Purification attributes mirror those of bulk activated carbon including decolorization, catalyst adsorption and removal of specific polar or nonpolar contaminants and eliminate the need to handle carbon powder in bulk form.
We designed the Zeta Plus™ Activated Carbon Series Filter Cartridge to meet the need for a broad array of pharmaceutical manufacturing applications. Purification attributes mirror those of bulk activated carbon including decolorization, catalyst adsorption and removal of specific polar or nonpolar contaminants and eliminate the need to handle carbon powder in bulk form.
The Zeta Plus Activated Carbon Series filter media is of a mixture of activated carbon, cellulose and a positively charged crosslinking polymer encapsulated in our cartridge and capsule designs. Multiple types of activated carbon are available, each of which have specific purification attributes. Each type of activated carbon media is available in three porosities. The result is a portfolio that exhibits a broad range of unique purification capabilities, filtration efficiencies, and throughput. This enables the media selection to be matched to specific challenge characteristics such as contaminant type, fluid viscosity, and particulate loading.
Widely referred to as 3M™ ZetaCarbon™, our Zeta Plus™ Activated Carbon cartridges are constructed from multiple lenticular cells of opposing media disks bonded together with molded edge seals, assembled with polypropylene seals between each cell, and then unitized with stainless steel bands. Cartridges and sanitary housings are available in 8", 12", and 16" diameter enabling predictable scale-up to full scale production.
Pharmaceutical Grade Product
The Zeta Plus™ Activated Carbon Series Filter cartridges are specifically designed for use in the manufacture of biopharmaceutical, vaccine, blood fractionation and small molecule API drug substances. Their effluent characteristics have been tested following a number of protocols in the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) compendia.
Our Quality Management System is approved by an accredited registering body to the ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 13485:2003 Quality Management Systems. The manufacturing process, quality controls and regulatory oriented compliance reports are documented in a Drug Master File on record with the FDA.
Zeta Plus Activated Carbon Series filter media contains a mixture of high surface area activated carbon particles, cellulose fibers and a crosslinking polymer resin. Five standard activated carbon medias are offered, each based on a distinct, commercially available activated carbon. These carbon types have been specifically selected for their properties to cover a broad range of applications.
The polymer resin has a positive charge as a result of a balance of secondary, tertiary and quaternary amines, resulting in a relatively low anion exchange capacity. As such, Zeta Plus™ Activated Carbon Series filters are generally applicable where the pharmaceutical product is negatively charged and recovery may be of concern. By controlling the formulation, three different porosities are offered to enable the filtration of fluids with different viscosities and particle loadings.
A full range of scale-up and production cartridges enable predictable performance at every stage of drug development from early stage discovery to fully validated production. The BC25 laboratory capsule with 25 cm2
filter media, or individual media discs sealed in a stainless housing, are ideal for media grade screening using small liquid volumes.
Filter cartridges and sanitary housings are available in 8", 12" and 16" diameter, with surface areas ranging from 650 cm2
to 3.9 m2
per cartridge, enabling predictable scale-up and full scale production for large volumes.