3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TC3403 is among 3M's lightest-weight NVH solutions for automotive sound absorption and is ideal for filling irregular spaces. With an internal polypropylene/polyethylene web, an overall thickness of 41 mm and a basis weight of just 332 g/m2, it features excellent compressibility and recovery. A 100% polypropylene scrim reinforces the web on both sides.
Very Light Weight for Mass Reduction
Part of our TC family of cavity filling solutions for automotive OEM, 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation (PDF, 196.92 Kb) TC3403 delivers among the highest acoustic absorption-to-weight ratios of any Thinsulate product. This very low density (just 8.1 Kg/m2) insulation is excellent as an NVH cavity filler in applications where mass reduction is a major goal. Its internal web features thick and thin fibers designed specifically to absorb vibration and help reduce unwanted noise from traveling throughout vehicles.
Built for Lasting Noise Absorption
The internal web of the product is composed of a combination of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and polypropylene (PP) fibers. The PP fibers are extremely fine, allowing for high-energy absorption without adding weight. The thicker PET fibers add loft, strength and stability to the web. The lightweight reinforcing white scrim on both sides is made from 100% polypropylene non-woven fabric for durability.
Properties of 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TC3403
This acoustic insulation material has a caliper of 41 mm and a basis weight of just 332 gm/m2. Fibers are contained in a white double scrim.
Compressible and Conformable for Total Gap Fills
Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation TC3403 is designed for excellent compressibility and recovery. This is ideal for applications where filling spaces of varying thickness is important, such as door trim panels and body side trim panels. As the insulation conforms, it completely fills even irregular spaces for extremely consistent noise absorption throughout the application. It is most effective as an NVH cavity filler.
Our Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation TC3403 can be processed by conventional techniques such as die cutting. It attaches easily using ultrasonic welding, hot melt adhesive or mechanical fasteners.
Reasons Why Automotive Manufacturers Choose 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation
- Variable cavity NVH
- Door trim panels
- Door hole seals
- Vehicle trunk and head liners
- Vehicle pillars
- Instrument panels
- Parcel trays
The Science Behind How Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation Absorbs Noise
- Quieter Vehicles. Provides highly efficient acoustic absorption, particularly in middle- to high-frequency ranges.
- Lighter Vehicles. Thinsulate acoustic insulation products are made from lightweight polyester and polypropylene non-woven fibers.
- Easy to Install. Lightweight and easy to handle compared fiberglass, shoddy, felt and PET.
- Mold, Mildew and Moisture Resistant. Install just the insulation — there's no need for an additional waterproof layer during application. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is also resistant to mildew growth, reducing the risk of offensive odors.
- Efficient Assembly. Attach our acoustic insulation using a variety of methods including ultrasonic welding, double-sided tape or mechanical clips.
- Manufacturing Support. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is supported by a global network of 3M experts. Custom die cutting services are available.
All sound is transmitted through the air as acoustic waves. These acoustic waves oscillate at differing frequencies. When oscillating waves contact the fine fibers of our Thinsulate acoustic insulation, the resulting friction turns their acoustic energy into heat. The heat irreversibly dissipates and reduces sound. As a result, 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation applied to automotive interiors reduces interior noise for a quieter, more comfortable ride.
About Our 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TC Series
As part of a full range of Thinsulate acoustic insulation products, the TC Series provides among the lowest weights along with the highest lofts at any given basis weight. It is also the easiest to compress, and features excellent compression recovery. The TC Series fills voids more completely and reduces vibration more effectively, making it ideal as an NVH cavity filler in pillars and behind trim panels, headliners or instrument panels. Explore our entire portfolio of acoustic insulation products to see the many solutions we have to help you meet your weight reduction goals.