- The highest acoustic absorption per unit weight of any 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation product
- Excellent compression and recovery make the product ideal as a cavity filler
- Non-woven sound absorbing fibers create a quieter vehicle environment
- Hydrophobic fibers resist moisture, mold and mildew
- Can be converted through standard techniques such as die-cutting
- Global portfolio, technical expertise help ensure you choose the right solution to meet your goals
Our 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TC1803 is among our lightest-weight NVH solutions for automotive sound absorption and is ideal for filling irregular spaces. With an internal PP/PE web, an overall thickness of 21 mm and a basis weight of just 185 g/m2, it features excellent compressibility and recovery. A durable, 100% polypropylene scrim reinforces the web on both sides.
Magnified image of Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation showing fine PP and larger PE fibers
Very Light Weight for Mass Reduction
Part of our TC family of cavity filling solutions for automotive OEM, 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TC1803
(PDF, 196.92 Kb) has one of the highest acoustic absorption-to-weight ratios of any Thinsulate product. This very low density (8.8 kg/m3) insulation is excellent as an NVH cavity filler for applications where mass reduction is a major goal. Its internal web features thick and thin fibers and is designed specifically to absorb vibration and help reduce unwanted noise from traveling throughout vehicles.
Built for Lasting Noise Absorption
Part of our TC family of cavity filling solutions for automotive OEM, 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TC1803 has one of the highest acoustic absorption-to-weight ratios of any Thinsulate product. This very low density (8.8 kg/m3) insulation is excellent as an NVH cavity filler for applications where mass reduction is a major goal. Its internal web features thick and thin fibers and is designed specifically to absorb vibration and help reduce unwanted noise from traveling throughout vehicles.
Properties of 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TC1803
This acoustic insulation material has a caliper of 21 mm and a basis weight of just 185 g/m2. Fibers are contained in a single scrim.
Compressible and Conformable for Gap Filling
Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation TC1803 is designed for excellent compressibility and recovery. This is ideal for applications where filling spaces of varying thickness is important, such as door trim panels and body side trim panels. As the insulation conforms, it completely fills even irregular spaces for extremely consistent noise absorption throughout the application. It is most effective as an NVH cavity filler.
Our Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation TC1803 can be processed by conventional techniques such as die cutting. It attaches easily using ultrasonic welding, hot melt adhesive or mechanical fasteners.
Reasons Why Automotive Manufacturers Choose 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation
- Variable cavity NVH
- Door trim panels
- Door hole seals
- Head liners
- Wheel wells
- Trunk liners
- Vehicle pillars
- Instrument panels
- Parcel trays
The Science Behind How Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation Absorbs Noise
- Quieter Vehicles. Provides highly efficient acoustic absorption, particularly in middle- to high-frequency ranges.
- Lighter Vehicles. Thinsulate acoustic insulation products are made from lightweight polyester and polypropylene non-woven fibers.
- Easy to Install. Lightweight and easy to handle compared fiberglass, shoddy, felt and PET.
- Mold, Mildew and Moisture Resistant. Install just the insulation — there's no need for an additional waterproof layer during application. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is also resistant to mildew growth, reducing the risk of offensive odors.
- Efficient Assembly. Attach our acoustic insulation using a variety of methods including ultrasonic welding, double-sided tape or mechanical clips.
- Manufacturing Support. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is supported by a global network of 3M experts. Custom die cutting services are available.
All sound is transmitted through the air as waves. These acoustic waves oscillate at differing frequencies. When oscillating waves contact the fine fibers of our Thinsulate acoustic insulation, the resulting friction turns their acoustic energy into heat. The heat irreversibly dissipates and reduces sound. As a result, Thinsulate acoustic Insulation applied to automotive interiors reduces interior noise for a quieter, more comfortable ride.
About Our 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TC Series
As part of a full range of Thinsulate acoustic insulation products, the TC Series provides among the lowest weights along with the highest lofts at any given basis weight. It is also the easiest to compress, and features excellent compression recovery. It fills voids more completely and reduces vibration more effectively, making it ideal as an NVH cavity filler in pillars and behind trim panels, headliners or instrument panels. Explore our entire portfolio of acoustic insulation products to see the many solutions we have to help you meet your weight reduction goals.