- Thermal conductivity in polymer parts can be optimized to your application requirements, ranging from 1-15 W/mK
- High electrical insulation
- Suitable for many polymers like: thermoplastics, elastomers and thermoset resins
- Very good processing properties and gentle on tooling: compounding, extrusion, injection molding
- Used in a variety of electrical and electronic applications within consumer electronics and automotive markets
3M™ Boron Nitride Cooling Fillers are trusted across industries for effective temperature control. Downsized, lightweight and complex geometries require materials that can spread heat within a small space and transfer it to the surrounding air. Plastics are the material of choice, but they are usually not thermally conductive. Adding this product as a filler is an easy way to resolve this issue.
Consumer Electronics: Dissipating Heat
- LED lighting
- Consumer and automotive electronics
- High-capacity batteries
- Thermal interface materials
- High-performance adhesives
In the consumer electronics sector, 3M™ Boron Nitride Cooling Fillers aid in heat dissipation in mobile devices and televisions. As these devices get thinner, heat dissipation and electrical isolation are more crucial than ever. 3M™ Boron Nitride can be easily compounded with thermoplastics for injection molding or extrusion of pads, LED housings and heat sinks. One specific focus is in TIM applications — epoxy, silicon and acrylates — due to their thermal conductivity and electrical insulation capabilities, in addition to having a range of particle distributions and top cut sizes.
Automotive: Thermal Management for Batteries and Housings
3M™ Boron Nitride Cooling Fillers help dissipate heat in consumer electronics
When used in thermoplastics and elastomers, 3M™ Boron Nitride Cooling Fillers are useful in automotive applications such as batteries and housings for electric and hybrid vehicles, as well as LEDs. When combined with thermosets, they can be directly injection molded or used in potting resins around electronic components to isolate them from moisture and dissipate heat.
Motors and Generators: Electrical Insulation and Thermal Conductivity
3M™ Boron Nitride Cooling Fillers are used increasingly in applications where the highest electrical insulation is required to also achieve a high thermal conductivity. They are commonly added to polyester, polyimide and PEEK, where they are useful in high-temperature insulation foils. Our boron nitride cooling fillers are suitable for use with a variety of foil thickness, from 150 microns to 25 microns.