- High-value abrasive discs offer good performance for automotive body restoration
- Aluminum oxide abrasive offers a fast cut, long disc life and professional results
- 3M™ Stikit™ attachment system delivers peel and stick convenience in changing discs
- Range of grades for paint stripping, filler shaping, metal prep, primer, putty and topcoat sanding
- Red Sanding Abrasive Discs are ideal for use during the 3M™ Body Repair System
Our 3M™ Red Sanding Abrasive Disc delivers best-in-class performance at a very high value in collision repair. It features aluminum oxide, a long-lasting, fast-cutting abrasive. These 6 inch discs are ideal for power sanding projects from rough sanding to filler shaping and featheredging to sanding topcoat – a full range of dry sanding applications.
About the 3M™ Body Repair System
- The 40 grit discs quickly strip paint from metal, plastic or fiberglass panels. Follow this step with 80 grit sandpaper to refine the 40 grit scratches. This will allow the body filler to adhere well to the panel
- The 80 grit discs refine the 40 grit scratches and featheredge for a smooth transition into the existing top layer of clear coat. The 80 grit scratches will give body filler the proper surface to adhere to.
- Use the 120 grit discs shape and sand body filler and refine the 80 grit scratches in the filler. The 120 grit scratches will then be filled with glaze or spot putty for a smooth finish. Follow this step with 180 to refine the 120 grit scratches in the body filler and prep for glazing.
- The 220 grit discs can be used to shape and sand body filler and refine the 180 grit scratches in the filler. The 220 grit scratches will then be filled with glaze or spot putty for a smooth finish. Use 320 grit sandpaper to shape and sand glaze or spot putty prior to priming.
- Use 400 grit sandpaper to refine 320 grit scratches in primer and to prepare the surface for paint.
Red Sanding Abrasive Discs are excellent for use during multiple stages of our 3M™ Body Repair System. Even a small repair can seem complex at first. So 3M's Body Repair System simplifies the entire automotive body repair process by dividing it into four stages:
Stage 1 — Prepare.
This stage includes pulling dents, removal of paint and rust and efficient, effective masking of the area.
Stage 2 — Fill.
This stage involves patching holes with reinforced filler and smoothing and shaping filler before painting.
Stage 3 — Paint.
This stage includes painting the area and blending and smoothing primer and paint.
Stage 4 — Finish.
The final stage for showroom-grade results: removing small defects, sealing and polishing clear coats and other painted surfaces.
3M supplies premium products such as abrasives, tapes, body fillers
(PDF, 68.63 Mb) and tools for every stage. This system helps you work easily, efficiently and successfully across the entire body repair process.
The Convenience of the 3M™ Stikit™ Attachment System
3M™ Stikit™ discs are designed to handle a wide range of sanding and finishing needs. These high-quality sanding discs come ready to use with a pressure sensitive adhesive coating on the backside so they conveniently press on to the backup pad, and remove cleanly, leaving an uncontaminated surface for the next disc. A Stikit™ disc should be used with a Stikit™ backup pad (also called a disc pad and sold separately) that is attached to a random orbital sander.
Find 3M™ Power Tools, Abrasives and Accessories
(PDF, 18.52 Mb)
A Comprehensive Range of Economical Sanding Sheets
3M™ Red Sanding Abrasive Discs carry our "Red" designation which indicates a very high value in an abrasive disc. From its premium abrasive to its innovative adhesive-backed attachment, this disc combines strength, durability and efficiency.