- Flaps offer single-step grinding and blending and may replace grinding wheels and fiber discs
- Flap construction leaves a smooth finish and resists gouging
- Ceramic pro grain cuts through metal faster than standard ceramic and accelerates throughput
- Ceramic pro achieves more parts per disc, saving time on disc changes
- Grinding aid keeps the disc running cool on stainless steel and heat-sensitive alloys
- Overlapping layers extend durability for prolonged use in industrial operations
- Poly-cotton backing resists tearing or fraying
- Phenolic resin plate provides cushion effect for optimal blending and dampens vibration, reducing operator fatigue and tool wear
Built for rapid stock removal, our Standard Abrasives™ Ceramic Pro Flap Disc is our highest performing flap disc. It delivers an exceptionally fast cut and runs cool on stainless steel, high nickel alloys and aluminum. Tough overlapping poly-cotton flaps won't fray with edgework, maintain a sharp cut as the flaps wear away, and leave a smooth finish.
More Cutting Power Means Increased Production
Outcuts and Outlasts Grinding Wheels and Fiber Discs
The overlapping layers of coated abrasive cloth flaps make this disc flexible, long lasting, sharp cutting, and a great choice for one step grinding and blending. In many instances it can replace grinding wheels and fiber discs, making it an advantageous addition to machine shops and body shops.
Compared to a grinding wheel, a flap disc cuts cooler, works faster, and is more user-friendly. The phenolic resin disc plate cushions the disc and reduces disc vibration, producing optimal finish and greater operator comfort. Moreover, the flexibility of the flaps also reduces vibration and produces smoother results, which means the disc is easier to control and causes less operator fatigue.
A flap disc will outlast a fiber disc while still providing an aggressive cut, so you can count on replacing it less often, which saves time and reduces consumables. It produces a smoother, more consistent finish, and won't curl up in storage as fiber discs sometimes do. Choose one grade coarser than the fiber disc you would typically use for your application for comparable results.
Disc Workhorse Offers Great Versatility
When faster output is the bottom line, you will appreciate the value of our Standard Abrasives™ Ceramic Pro Flap Disc. Use it to:
- Make quick work of rust or other contaminants
- Rapidly smooth out welds, beads and burrs
- Knock down sharp edges
- Perform minor material shaping
- Remove cutting torch slag from steel plates
- Strip paint off of metal
- Level auto body filler
- Touch up welds
- Remove slap
A flap disc may also be used for paint prep on wood, although it won't leave the same smooth finish it achieves on metal.
Choosing a Flap Disc
The New Standard of Grinding Power and Performance
We engineered Standard Abrasives™ Flap Discs with the industrial operator in mind — they deliver exceptional cut and long life. Variations in mineral type, backing and disc shape enable efficient abrasive solutions. By pairing the right flap disc with your unique application you ensure peak performance and market-leading value. We offer discs with five designations (each sold separately):
- Zirconia GP: Ideal for low pressure grinding on flat surfaces such as weld touchups and surface prep; cotton backing
- Zirconia AP: Versatile disc performs well when you need one disc for a variety of applications; poly-cotton backing
- Zirconia HP: More durable backing supports high pressure grinding such as beveling, deburring and edge chamfering ; grinding aid for stainless and high nickel alloys; polyester backing
- Ceramic: Faster cut than Zirconia on high-pressure applications; cool cutting action reduces loading risk and discoloration; grinding aid for stainless and high nickel alloys; cotton backing
- Ceramic Pro: Fastest cutting; grinding aid, ideal for stainless steel and high tensile alloys; poly-cotton backing Designed for use on a right angle grinder, flap discs have a Type 27 or Type 29 profile.
- Type 27 Flat: Flaps are flush with a flat surface and ideal for generating a smooth finish on flat areas or outside edges
- Type 29 Conical: Flaps are angled to provide more aggressive cutting action ideal for stock removal and faster results on both edge work, flats and contours
Quality Solutions for Industrial Operations
Type 27 (top) Type 29 (bottom)
The Standard Abrasives brand has supplied quality abrasives to the metalworking industry for over 50 years. Customers rely on our broad offering of high performance products including coated, bonded, and non-woven abrasive lines.