- Charcoal gray, 0.375 in. (9.5 mm) soft conformable, low-density, open-cell foam design helps seal out air, dust and light when compressed
- Excellent cushioning characteristics and high absorbency
- Dampens sounds and absorbs vibration when used in electronic applications
- Offers high initial quick-stick to multiple substrates
- Provides excellent shear strength and high temperature performance
3M™ Urethane Foam Tape 4317 is a conformable, low-density, open-cell foam tape with a pressure sensitive acrylic adhesive on one side. This tape will adhere to a variety of substrates and can be used in numerous mounting applications to dampen sound and create a clean and durable product.
When compressed 50%, the open cell construction of 3M Urethane Foam Tape 4317 provides an air barrier and cushion in electronic equipment
Seals Out Moisture, Dust and Drafts
3M™ Urethane Foam Tape 4317 is 3/8 in. thick, comprised of a soft conformable, low-density, open-cell foam with a pressure sensitive acrylic adhesive on one side. The adhesive is protected by a silicone treated paper liner. It offers excellent cushioning characteristics while providing high absorbency to seal out moisture, dust and drafts. It can perform under a wide range of temperatures. Special note: Extra care should be taken when handling to avoid damaging tape.
Excellent Shear Holding Strength with 3M™ Adhesive 430
- Cushion and dampen sound in electronics such as printers, keyboards, computers, aircraft lights and automotive dashboards
- Register covers
- Recessed lighting
- Door, window and cabinet seals
3M™ Urethane Foam Tape 4317 features 3M™ Adhesive 430. This pressure sensitive, modified acrylic adhesive provides high initial quick-stick to a variety of surfaces and substrates. It has an excellent chemical resistant and shear holding strength, even at elevated temperatures. Adhesive 430 is designed to perform at temperatures up to 180°F (82°C) in the short term and 150°F (70°C) long term.
Protect Sensitive Components
The adhesion of 3M™ Single-Coated Foam Tapes is typically satisfactory within 20 minutes and continues to build with additional time. The adhesive is protected by a thick, silicone treated paper liner and has a firm, high-density foam. This design offers an attractive and clean appearance after application.
What is Open Cell Foam?
Open cell foams are commonly used between component panels where a degree of separation is needed to dampen or prevent vibration, as a thermal insulation barrier and to protect against contamination, but where a measure of airflow is still necessary, such as with electronic components where air flow helps keeps components cool.