- Advanced fiber technology specifically designed for a high-temp automotive acoustic absorber
- Non-woven fibers deliver higher sound absorption performance vs. PU foam parts
- Resists temperatures of 302°F (150°C) for 336 hours or 356°F (180°C) for 48 hours
- Hydrophobic fibers resist moisture, mold and mildew
- Material does not require special handling typically associated with fiberglass
- High-performance black scrim resists fluids and chemicals
- Can be converted into shapes and configurations to fit OEM and Tier application needs
3M™ Thinsulate™ High Temperature Acoustic Absorber HT500P features a web of polyester fibers for automotive sound absorption even in high-temperature applications. It resists temps up to 356°F (180°C) for 48 hours, excellent for use inside engine compartments. A durable black scrim reinforces the web and resists chemicals and fluids. Material can be die-cut into complex shapes and configurations.
The Science Behind Noise Absorption with Thinsulate Products
- Automotive underhood
- Engine under covers and beauty covers
- Battery covers
- Front of dash panels
All sound is transmitted through physical vibrations. Where many acoustic insulation products act as a damper or a barrier that simply block the transmission these vibrations from a source to other locations, our Thinsulate acoustic absorbers and insulation are engineered to absorb them instead. Tiny fibers are manufactured to exact diameters and assembled into a web. As physical vibrations pass through this web, it essentially tunes them to differing frequencies. This absorption process converts vibration from physical energy — which causes noise and discomfort — into heat, which dissipates quickly and quietly. The result is a quieter, smoother, more comfortable space inside the vehicle cabin, and another example of how 3M applies science to life.