- Thin mat material is engineered specifically as an acoustic absorber for automotive interiors
- Non-woven sound absorbing fibers create a quieter vehicle environment
- Hydrophobic fibers resist moisture, mold and mildew
- Embossed polyolefin scrim protects fibers on one side
- Can be converted through standard techniques such as die-cutting
- Global portfolio, technical expertise help ensure you choose the right solution to meet your goals
3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TAI2027 is engineered specifically for automotive sound absorption. Lightweight, highly compressible and recoverable mat material features an internal polypropylene/polyester web, an overall thickness of just 13 mm – great for narrow spaces with tight tolerances – and a basis weight of 230 g/m2. Embossed 100% polypropylene scrim protects and reinforces the web.
Magnified image of Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation showing fine PP and larger PE fibres
Designed for Automotive Acoustic Performance in Narrow Spaces
Part of our TAI family of acoustic absorbers for automotive OEM, 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TAI2027
(PDF, 281.58 Kb) is a very thin, very low density (16.2 kg/m3) mat insulation. It is an excellent NVH material for applications where noise and mass reduction are major goals. Its internal web features thick and thin fibers and is designed specifically to absorb vibration and help reduce unwanted noise from traveling throughout vehicles. This thin 13 mm mat is excellent for sound reduction in narrow spaces and other applications where very tight tolerances are specified.
Built for Lasting Noise Absorption
The internal web of the product is composed of a combination of polyester (PE) and polypropylene (PP) fibers. The PP fibers are extremely fine, allowing for high-energy absorption without adding weight. The thicker PE fibers add loft, strength and stability to the web. The lightweight reinforcing white scrim is made from 100% polypropylene non-woven fabric for durability, and is embossed for added durability.
Properties of 3M™Thinsulate™Acoustic Insulation TAI2027
This acoustic insulation mat material has a caliper of 13 mm and a basis weight of 230 gm/m2. Fibers are protected by a single scrim which is embossed for added abrasion resistance during and after installation.
Compressible and Conformable for a Range of Applications
3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation TAI2027 is designed for excellent compressibility and recovery. This is ideal for application to vertical surfaces in vehicle cabins, such as inside door panels and for stuffing pillars. Its light weight properties
(PDF, 473.67 Kb) also make it effective for non-load bearing horizontal surfaces, such as package trays, luggage compartments and in combination with headliners, for extremely consistent noise absorption throughout the application.
Our Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation TAI2027 can be processed using conventional techniques such as die cutting. It attaches easily using ultrasonic welding, hot melt adhesive or mechanical fasteners.
Thinsulate™ materials come in a range of thicknesses to suit different frequency needs
Reasons Why Automotive Manufacturers Choose 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation
- Narrow spaces with tight tolerances, such as headliners
- Instrument panels and other areas where contact can inhibit proper sensor operation
- Applications requiring proper operation of seat belt and other mechanisms
- Applications requiring proper airflow or pressure release
- Vehicle pillars
- Instrument panels
- Parcel trays
The Science Behind How Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation Absorbs Noise
- Quieter Vehicles. Provides highly efficient acoustic absorption, particularly in middle- to high-frequency ranges.
- Lighter Vehicles. Thinsulate acoustic insulation products are made from lightweight polyester and polypropylene non-woven fibers.
- Easy to Install. Lightweight and easy to handle compared fiberglass, shoddy, felt and PET.
- Mold, Mildew and Moisture Resistant. Install just the insulation — there's no need for an additional waterproof layer during application. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is also resistant to mildew growth, reducing the risk of offensive odors.
- Efficient Assembly. Attach our acoustic insulation using a variety of methods including ultrasonic welding, double-sided tape or mechanical clips.
- Manufacturing Support. Thinsulate acoustic insulation is supported by a global network of 3M experts. Custom die cutting services are available.
All sound is transmitted through the air as waves. These acoustic waves oscillate at differing frequencies. When oscillating waves contact the fine fibers of our Thinsulate acoustic insulation, the resulting friction turns their acoustic energy into heat. The heat irreversibly dissipates and reduces sound. As a result, 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation applied to automotive interiors reduces interior noise for a quieter, more comfortable ride.