- Co-curable film provides a permanent, durable barrier against impact and erosion damage
- Enables composites to be used in applications subjected to adverse environmental conditions
- Durability and longevity reduces composite maintenance and repair costs
- Applied via autoclave or vacuum bag processing, allowing for reduced cycle times compared with coatings
- UV stable for use in harsh environments
- Can be layered or stacked to put extra protection where you need it
- 6 mil thickness
3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape 8734NA is our aerospace grade protective film designed for use with 3M structural adhesive films. Our UV stable film protects composite parts from damage caused by high speed sand, dust and rain. It’s conformable to most surfaces and forms a tough, repairable surface that outperforms paint, coatings and other conventional materials.
Revolutionary, erosion-resistant integrated system that can extend the life of your composite parts
Aircraft need extra protection throughout their performance envelope. Sand and rain erosion can happen quickly, affecting aerodynamics and structural integrity, translating to increased maintenance costs and downtime. 3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape 8734NA effectively combines performance and convenience for maintaining the integrity of aircraft composite parts. Our temperature stable, erosion-resistant polyurethane film provides a durable barrier against impact and erosion damage. It's designed to be co-cured into the surface of the composite structure during manufacturing where it forms a tough, protective surface that can dramatically reduce maintenance costs, increase up-time and enable safer aircraft.
We listened to experts in the aerospace industry, then went to work developing this high-performance surface protection film. It has been designed to be abrasion, erosion, scratch, puncture and impact resistant. Conformable to many surfaces, 3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape 8734NA can be applied via autoclave or vacuum bag processing, resulting in a permanently protected surface.
3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape 8734NA offers 60 times the protection of paint, helping to reduce composite assembly and repair costs. This tape is part of a revolutionary, erosion-resistant integrated system that can extend the life of your composite parts while simultaneously reducing costs. The tape is designed to last and if damage should occur, it is easily repairable with 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Repair Paste 2110
Unique flow characteristics allow the film to be stacked, butted together, and textured to allow customized surface finish.
Learn More about 3M™ Advanced Composite Protection
- Engineered specifically for elevated temperatures and composite parts
- Designed for use during composite part production and for fast, easy installation
- Options to co-cure into composite structures or adhesively bond onto pre-cured parts
- Provides superior performance to paint, coatings and other conventional materials
- Resistant to most aviation fluids (details provided upon request)
- Available up to 24 inches wide
- Uniquely formulated for use with 3M structural adhesive films
(PDF, 1.21 Mb)
Our Best for Your Best
3M is proud to partner with organizations across the spectrum of aerospace and related industries. Enabling efficiencies, reducing process times and lowering aircraft weight is how we execute our never-ending mission to offer best-in-class adhesives, sealants, surface protection products and composite resins that effectively reduce costs on multiple fronts. Professionals across the industry know the numerous advantages of 3M Aerospace. Our brand is widely recognized for the highest standards of quality and performance, adding value to the final results. By engineering reliability, longevity and value into all of our products, we have a history of saving money by reducing waste, rework and time.