- Tough, thermoplastic polyurethane elastomer has a high peel strength and is resistant to minor abrasion, scratch, erosion, tear and puncture
- Indoor grade polyurethane tape
- Very high bond strength to canvas, leather, rubber, plastics and paints
- Minimally conformable tape sticks to a variety of surfaces
- Can be painted over, or applied to painted surfaces
- Acrylic adhesive adheres to a wide variety of substrates and retains a constant level of adhesion over time, yet removes easily when necessary
3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape 8617 is a matte transparent, 16 mil construct, consisting of 4 mil polyurethane and 12 mil acrylic adhesive. It offers strong resistance to punctures, tearing and abrasion. This indoor polyurethane tape is qualified to meet aerospace specifications. It offers a very high bond strength to canvas, leather, rubber, plastics and paints.
3M 8616 and 8617 tapes are commonly used for inflatables such as rafts, as well as tents, banners, sails and awnings
Resists Wearing, Abrasion and Tearing
3M™ Polyurethane Protective Tape 8617 is a matte transparent thermoplastic polyurethane elastomer tape. It features scratch, tear, erosion and puncture resistance that comes from the polyurethane backing. The 8617 comes with a paper liner. It can withstand a wide variety of difficult conditions. The tape can be applied efficiently in repairing canvas, leather, rubber and plastics.
Our Best for Your Best
3M is proud to partner with organizations across the spectrum of aerospace and related industries. Enabling efficiencies, reducing process times and lowering aircraft weight is how we execute our never-ending mission to offer best-in-class adhesives, sealants, surface protection products and composite resins that effectively reduce costs on multiple fronts. Professionals across the industry know the numerous advantages of 3M Aerospace
. Our brand is widely recognized for the highest standards of quality and performance, adding value to the final results. By engineering reliability, longevity and value into all of our products, we have a history of saving money by reducing waste, rework and time.
Learn More about 3M Aerospace Surface Protection Portfolio
(PDF, 3.02 Mb)