- Non-stick PTFE film provides an exceptionally slick surface for easy clean-up
- Silicone adhesive provides clean removal from a variety of surfaces
- Tensilized skived 3M™ PTFE Film Tapes are more conformable and has greater tensile strength than typical extruded PTFE film tapes
- Wide temperature range for performance on heated machinery and equipment
- Excellent chemical resistance enables tape to withstand challenging applications
Our 3M™ PTFE Skived Film Tape 5185 uses a red tensilized skived, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), conformable film backing. This tape offers an extremely low coefficient of friction which provides a non-stick surface ideal for wrapping rubber laminating rollers on hot polyethylene extruders. This non-stick surface resists build-up of material, helping minimize clean-up.
Tensilized backing provides greater tensile strength for enhanced durability
An Exceptionally Slick Surface
Formed with a skived film backing that provides good conformability when unwound from the roll compared to typical extruded PTFE film tapes, 3M™ PTFE Skived Film Tape 5185 is a quick and easy solution to reduce friction between moving surfaces. It functions as an anti-stick or easy-release medium between surfaces where pressure, temperature changes and other factors may create a measure of adhesion. Applying 3M™ PTFE Skived Film Tape 5185 can help improve surface movement, eliminate squeaks and rattles, and reduce machine noise. PTFE is chemical resistant and can be used as a temporary chemical barrier. The tape has a wide temperature use range, from -65°F/-54°C to 500°F/260°C, making it suitable for a variety of applications.
What is PTFE?
- Wrapping rubber laminating rollers on hot polyethylene extruders
- Easy release surface for belts and plates, or where sticky materials and inks may occur
- Shielding and protecting against chemicals
Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic material used in a variety of industries and applications to reduce the coefficient of friction. Because of its non-stick properties and high heat resistance, PTFE is used as a non-stick coating for frying pans and other cookware. It makes an excellent insulating material for electrical applications because of its non-conductivity. PTFE is non-reactive to numerous chemicals, due to the chemical resistance of fluoropolymer bonds; making it effective in containers and pipework for reactive and corrosive substances. PTFE reduces friction, wear and energy efficiency of machinery. Because of its low friction, PTFE is used in industrial applications where sliding action of parts is required, such as with bearings, gears, slide plates, etc. In these applications, it delivers significantly better performance than nylon or acetal. 3M has taken this versatile compound through an extrusion process to create a thin film, then paired the film with 3M's unique pressure sensitive adhesives to make these PTFE tapes. Innovative, high performance 3M PTFE tapes are reliable, durable and reduce friction.
Learn more about PTFE and 3M™ Specialty Tape Solutions
(PDF, 2.4 Mb)