- Non-stick PTFE film provides an exceptionally slick surface for easy clean-up
- Silicone adhesive provides clean removal from a variety of surfaces
- Wide temperature range for performance on heated machinery and equipment
- Extruded 3M™ PTFE Film Tape lies flatter than typical skived PTFE film tapes
- Excellent chemical resistance enables tape to withstand challenging applications
- High strength and abrasion resistance ensures reliability and performance to reduce friction, rattle and machinery noise
3M™ PTFE Film Tape 5490 uses an extruded polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) film backing. This tape offers an extremely low coefficient of friction which, in combination with a pressure sensitive silicone adhesive, creates a smooth, non-stick surface over a variety of substrates to assist in the movement of materials in many types of lay-flat applications.
Lies flatter than typical skived PTFE film tapes
Reduce Friction Between Moving Surfaces
The extruded film backing on 3M™ PTFE Film Tape 5490 resists curling when unwound from the roll and lies flatter than skived PTFE film tapes, creating a more uniform non-skid surface. We developed this tape as a quick and easy solution to reduce friction between moving surfaces. It functions as an anti-stick or easy-release medium where pressure, temperature changes and other factors may create a measure of adhesion. Applying 3M™ PTFE Film Tape 5490
(PDF, 171.26 Kb) can help improve surface movement, eliminate squeaks and rattles, and reduce machine noise. PTFE is chemical resistant and can be used as a temporary chemical barrier. The tape has a wide temperature use range, from -65°F/-54°C to 500°F/260°C, making it a suitable choice for a variety of applications.
What is PTFE?
- Roll-wrap for web processing, belts and plates where sticky materials and inks may occur
- High temperature wire bundling and harnessing
- Squeak and noise reduction
- Lining of chutes, toughs and ducts
- Shielding and protecting against chemicals
- Mold release for composite bonding
Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic material used in a variety of industries and applications to reduce the coefficient of friction. Because of its non-stick properties and high heat resistance, PTFE is used as a non-stick coating for frying pans and other cookware. It makes an excellent insulating material for electrical applications because of its non-conductivity. PTFE is non-reactive to numerous chemicals, due to the chemical resistance of fluoropolymer bonds; making it effective in containers and pipework for reactive and corrosive substances.
PTFE reduces friction, wear and energy efficiency of machinery. Because of its low friction, PTFE is used in industrial applications where sliding action of parts is required, such as with bearings, gears, slide plates, etc. In these applications, it delivers significantly better performance than nylon or acetal. 3M has taken this versatile compound through an extrusion process to create a thin film, then paired the film with 3M’s unique pressure sensitive adhesives to make these PTFE tapes. Innovative, high performance 3M PTFE tapes are reliable, durable and reduce friction.
Click here for more information on 3M Masking and Specialty Products
(PDF, 4.65 Mb)