- Successfully and predictably reduces the control fluid density
- Prevents or minimizes fluid loss/lost circulation and formation damage
- Incompressible and more homogeneous control fluid properties compared with foamed and aerated systems
- Eliminates the need for specialized equipment used in foamed and aerated systems
- Potential for reduced Non Productive Time (NPT), improved well integrity and increased well productivity
3M™ Glass Bubbles HGS4000 are hollow glass spheres designed for use in drilling, completion, and workover fluids, as well as cement slurries in the oil and gas industry. With a nominal density of 0.38 g/cc and an isostatic crush strength of 4,000 psi (pounds per square inch), HGS4000 are well-suited for use in shallow to intermediate depth wells.
- Reduced Non Productive Time (NPT)
- Improved well integrity
- Increased well productivity
When drilling and cementing across highly depleted zones and weaker formations, low density systems are required to prevent or minimize fluid loss/lost circulation, formation damage and other problems associated with excessive overbalance conditions. Our 3M glass bubbles offer stability by maintaining target pressures with greater reliability throughout the drilling process. Minimizing the differential pressure (bottom hole pressure minus reservoir pressure) is essential for the success of any drilling operation.
Learn more about 3M™ Glass Bubbles — HGS Series
(PDF, 198.74 Kb)
3M™ Glass Bubbles HGS4000 in Cementing
3M glass gubbles HGS4000 added to light weight cement slurries help prevent problems associated with excessive overbalance, including reduced top of cement (TOC) and thus the need for remedial squeeze. Additional benefits include the potential for:
- Reduced wait-on-cement (WOC)
- Reduced need for multi-staging
When compared with other microspheres, cementing with HGS4000 in shallow to intermediate depth wells offers:
Learn more about 3M™ Glass Bubbles for Cements
- Consistency batch-to-batch and location-to-location
- Greater density reduction capacity (cement slurry density values below 9.0 lb/gal (1.1 Kg/l) have been achieved)
(PDF, 138.87 Kb)
3M™ Glass Bubbles HGS4000 in Completion and Workover Fluids
The use of light weight completion and work-over fluids made with 3M glass bubbles HGS4000 help reduce and control the bottom-hole pressure, offering the potential for reduced fluid loss and lost circulation — as well as preventing or minimizing formation damage. 3M glass bubbles HGS4000 in completion and workover fluids are:
- More economical and allow for a greater density reduction window than synthetic oils
- Compatible with both water based and oil based systems
- Resistant to harsh downhole conditions
3M glass bubbles HGS Series are specially formulated for high strength-to-weight ratio, allowing for greater survivability under demanding downhole conditions. The durability also allows for possible reconditioning and reuse of lightweight fluid to help reduce costs; this is achieved with our 3M glass bubbles HGS4000— an economical product that is compatible with both water and oil based systems.
Learn more about 3M™ Glass Bubbles for Drilling
(PDF, 218.79 Kb)
Repeated Use Increases Efficiency, Saves Money
3M glass bubbles HGS Series are specially formulated for high strength-to-weight ratio, allowing for greater survivability under demanding downhole conditions. The durability also allows for possible reconditioning and reuse of lightweight fluid to help reduce costs. The tiny bubbles remain dispersed in water, or oil-based control fluid for repeated use.
Learn more about 3M™ Glass Bubbles
(PDF, 1.2 Mb)