- Fiber-based shell system creates thicker and faster shell build
- Offers improved permeability to help reduce non-fill and autoclave cracking
- Shell build provides uniform coverage of corners and edges
- Formulation allows for a reduction in the number of dips required
- Optimized slurry rheology substantially shortens drain times and increases foundry output
- Improved knockout simplifies shell removal
3M™ Fused Silica Advanced Shell System GM2 is a high-performance, fiber-based flour blend for investment casting backup slurries. This dry blend of fused silica and high-performance additives offers increased shell build which, coupled with improved permeability, can help remove dips and minimize autoclave shell cracking.
Specifically designed to minimize required number of backup dips
A Pure Product for Investment Casting
Designed for investment casting backup slurries, 3M™ Fused Silica Advanced Shell System GM2
(PDF, 104.53 Kb) is a fiber-based flour that can help remove dips as well as minimize autoclave shell cracking. This dual-purpose system allows an advantageous combination of edge build and corner build, while at the same time enhancing shell permeability -- thus cutting the total number of dips required while reducing positive metal scrap.
Our revolutionary furnace design helps prevent the raw silica sand from becoming contaminated during processing — resulting in a finished product that is 99.7% pure, while increasing productivity tenfold over conventional furnaces.
About 3M Advanced Ceramics
These advanced ceramic products are manufactured at ISO 9001:2008 certified facilities. Our manufacturing processes are optimized for quality, efficiency and consistency — helping ensure reliable and repeatable product performance. We have more than 85 years of experience in designing and manufacturing cutting-edge ceramic solutions, and continually work to develop new applications for ceramic materials in cooperation with our customers and with research institutions.