- Interlocking mushroom-shaped stems snap together to form a strong, fast and easy attachment
- Secures with an audible snap for closure verification
- Resistant to high temperature and solvents, ideal for automotive applications
- Strong holding power reduces the rattling and vibration of components
- Does not require any special tools or processing equipment
- Mates with other stem densities to achieve a variety of engagement and disengagement forces
3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fastener SJ3209 is a square reclosable fastener with a pop-in “pine tree” stem on the backing for insertion into a hole. It is lined with polyolefin mushroom stems of density 250, and can be paired with other stem densities for varying levels of interlocking strength.
Mushroomshaped polyolefin stems that snap together
Additional Features include:
How It Works
- Fast assembly with no drilling or additional tools required
- Hidden attachment avoids unsightly mechanical fasteners on the show surface
- High temperature and solvent resistance
- Mushroom heads that allow flexibility in alignment for easy attachment of components
- Can be used to attach components before they enter the final assembly plant, thus helping to reduce the number of parts and the length of assembly time
- Combinations of stem densities and the engaged area provide adjustable and proportional engagement and disengagement forces
- An audible snap confirms that the part is correctly installed with minimal insertion force required by the assembly worker
- Can be opened and closed hundreds of times allowing easy access to areas behind closeout panels, headliners and trunk liners
This pop-in fastener has a polypropylene post on the back designed to be inserted into a round hole where attachment is desired. Its "pine tree stems" grip the inside of the hole and hold tight. The fastener can be snapped to a second Dual Lock fastener attached to another part forming a secure, dependable and repeatable attachment.
When two pieces of 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners are pressed together, the stems flex and the mushroom heads slide past each other. After passing the opposing mating piece, the stems snap back into their original position and the opposing mushroom heads interlock. These fasteners can provide high tensile strength but can be opened by simply cleaving or peeling open the closure.
Alignment and re-alignment are easy and no special tools are required. This means that the fasteners can be used to attach components before they enter the final assembly plant, thus helping to reduce the number of parts and the length of assembly time.
400 stems/inch2 (62 stems/cm2)
3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners allow customers to combine different stem densities and engaged areas to create adjustable and proportional engagement and disengagement forces to suit their application. Dual Lock fasteners are offered in three different densities (stems per square inch): 170, 250, and 400. Our Dual Lock fastener SJ3209 has 250 stems per square inch and mates to Type 170, 250 or 400. Types 170 and 400 should not be mated with another fastener of the same density.
3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners can replace conventional mechanical fasteners in a wide range of assembly and attachment applications where reclosability or serviceability is desired. Dual Lock fasteners are used primarily to secure rigid and semi-rigid surfaces such as trim or door panels, instrument panel bezels, headliners, and other automotive interior and exterior trim. Some examples of applications include:
3M Science Delivers Closures You Can Count On
- Trunk liners
- Door panels
- Toll transponders
- Vehicle headliners
- Interior lighting
- Window and door trim
- Vibration and sound dampening control
- CHMSL Center Height Mount Stop Lamp cover plates
- Center console flanges
3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fastener are ideal for many applications where a high strength, reclosable fastening system is required. 3M engineers have uniquely combined physics and materials science to bring the automotive industry reliable fasteners that supply high performance even after exposure to ultraviolet radiation, high moisture levels and wide temperature ranges. For applications that require a pop-in piece and multiple closures, look no further than the long-lasting durability of our 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fastener SJ3209. It is yet another outstanding example of how 3M technologies advance operations in the automotive industry, providing both ease of use and superior results.
See More about 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners
(PDF, 2.9 Mb)