- Designed for attaching weatherstrip and gasket seals in automotive applications
- Heat-activated adhesive forms an immediate, consistent and durable bond
- Conformable acrylic core delivers excellent wet-out and stress handling characteristics to maintain seal integrity
- Helps provide a continuous seal against dust and moisture
- Continuous seal helps reduce noise levels inside vehicles
- Offers design flexibility with lower overall system cost
- Excels in a variety of weather, solvent and high temperature resistance
- Shows good tape wet-out compression load compared with the conventional tapes
3M™ Acrylic Foam Tape 5933 is a heat-activated 1.14 mm thick, medium-density, gray, heat-activated acrylic foam tape used to attach weatherstrip and/or gasket seals for automotive and industrial applications.
Conformable acrylic core delivers excellent wet-out and stress handling characteristics to maintain seal integrity
3M™ Acrylic Foam Tape 5933 is a heat-activated 1.14 mm thick, medium-density, gray, heat-activated acrylic foam tape used to attach weatherstrip and/or gasket seals for automotive and industrial applications. Its conformable acrylic core delivers excellent wet-out and stress handling characteristics to maintain seal integrity. This pressure-sensitive adhesive features high adhesion and holding strength to many surfaces, including automotive paints and metals.
An Acrylic Foam Tape for Attaching Weatherstrips and Gasket Seals
- Weatherstrip for door seals
- Weatherstrip for drip seals
- Weatherstrip for lamp seals
- Gasket seals
3M™ Acrylic Foam Tapes can be used for numerous applications both on the exterior and interior of vehicles. The unique viscoelastic nature of acrylic foam gives it high cohesive strength combined with excellent shock and weathering resistance. Generally, the adhesion increases with time, resulting in a durable, high performance bond between the part and the substrate. To optimize bond strength, the surfaces must be clean, dry and smooth with good fit between part and substrate.
Full surface contact between tape and substrate is important for good adhesion performance. Contact is achieved through pressurization. Typically pressure between 10-50 N/cm² is needed for optimal adhesion. It is also best to apply the tape at temperatures between 18-40 °C. Acrylic foam tapes are specially designed for attaching automotive components and bonding to automotive paint systems. They have been successfully utilized for years around the globe in the automotive industry.
High performance, heat-activated acrylic foam tapes from 3M offer a superior option for bonding elastomeric and rubber profiles. The heat lamination process delivers a robust bond along the entire surface of the seal or trim, guarding against the intrusion of dust, moisture, noise and other external influences. The result is a tight, durable bond that reduces the risk of corrosion and provides enhanced sound insulation.
Better Science for Better Adhesion from 3M
Since 1925 when a 3M lab assistant invented masking tape, 3M has been applying science to life — developing adhesive products and technologies that help entire industries and individual businesses worldwide. The work that began with a single 3M engineer now spans decades and generations — and all of it goes into each 3M product developed for automotive OEM, like 3M™ Acrylic Foam Tape 5933.