- A high-performance tape for primerless bonding to LSE and MSE substrates and paints
- Reduces or eliminates labor and equipment expenses related to primer
- Features the same adhesive on both the liner side and non-liner side of the tape
- Delivers robust initial tack and very high final tack
- Dark gray acrylic foam core provides excellent wet-out and conformability
- Liner is silicone-coated on both sides to enable easy release
3M™ Acrylic Foam Tape PX5005 is designed for attaching exterior automotive trim to painted surfaces, without the time and expense of adhesion promoters. The .51 mm double-coated tape features the same adhesive on both sides for primerless application to LSE and MSE substrates and paints. Acrylic foam core is designed for robust performance even to complex contours and difficult paint surfaces.
Acrylic foam tapes have steadily replaced mechanical fasteners for automotive assembly in recent years, in both OEM and aftermarket applications
A Primerless Attachment Tape for Low and Medium Surface Energy Automotive Substrates
Tested specifically for excellent peel adhesion on TPO and other low surface energy substrates, our 3M™ Acrylic Foam Tape PX5005 is designed for automotive exterior trim attachment without the added time and expense of primers or adhesion promoters. It features a polyethylene liner and a durable acrylic foam core with the same adhesive applied to both sides. The featured adhesive is formulated specifically for high adhesion to LSE and MSE surfaces. The viscoelastic foam core conforms well even to complex geometries, is engineered for stress relaxation when exposed to high stress loads, and maintains bondline aesthetics under normal stress loads. The inconspicuous dark gray color of 3M tape PX5005 helps ensure high levels of satisfaction among consumers. The red, 3M branded liner is silicone-coated on both sides to provide easy one-piece release and efficient tape application.
Confidence in Your Purchase
The 3M branded liner features a subtle 3M logo-marking to provide evidence to the customer that they are receiving the 3M quality they expect from their purchase. The liner makes our tapes easy to identify and difficult to imitate. Proprietary branding technology is designed to help identification of 3M™ Acrylic Foam Tapes.
Better Science for Better Adhesion from 3M
- Attaching window visors, pillar garnishes, nested components
- Sensor bonding
- Small side body moldings (PP)
- Claddings, body side moldings, rocker panels, running boards, wheel flares (TPO)
- ABS nameplates
- Chrome nameplate applications
Since 1925 when one of our lab assistants invented masking tape, 3M has been applying science to life — developing adhesive products and technologies that help entire industries and individual businesses worldwide. The work that began with a single 3M engineer now spans decades and generations — and all of it goes into each of our products developed for automotive OEM, like 3M™ Acrylic Foam Tape PX5005.
See More of the 3M™ Acrylic Foam Tape PX5000 Series
(PDF, 193.32 Kb)
Learn More about 3M™ Acrylic Foam and Acrylic Plus Tapes