Greetings from 3M Little Rock
3M is a global innovation company that never stops inventing. Over the years, we have worked to improve daily life for hundreds of millions of people all over the world. We have made driving at night easier, made buildings safer, and made consumer electronics lighter, less energy-intensive and less harmful to the environment. We even helped put a man on the moon.
Every day at 3M, one idea always leads to the next, igniting momentum to make progress possible around the world.
Welcome to 3M Little Rock, Arkansas
At 3M Little Rock, we act with uncompromising ethics and integrity. We have a strong commitment to environmental health and safety, protecting both our employees and the environment for the future.
We provide Roofing Granule products for our customers with the highest levels of quality, service, and flexibility, while providing the most competitive value.
- 3M Technology Advancing Every Company
- 3M Products Enhancing Every Home
- 3M Innovation Improving Every Life
- To be the world’s leading supplier of colored and specialty roofing granules for the asphalt shingle industry
- Have safety as our priority
- Care for our environment and community
- Conduct ourselves in an ethical and honest manner
- Lead by example
- Promote individual ownership through initiative and accountability
At 3M Little Rock, Culture is the Strategy. We demonstrate the commitment to our Compass by being actively engaged in delivering extraordinary results. We continuously improve ourselves, others, and processes, and reflect the value we place on clarity, trust, and respect.
Rock Solid Neighbor
Spread over 2500 acres, 3M Little Rock’s quarry and processing plant locations have been an integral member of the community for over 60 years. We help 3M bring innovative and useful products to generations of satisfied customers.
One of the core values of 3M has always been our commitment to the communities where we live and work. We’re proud of the ways 3M and our employees give back to the community, from participating in volunteer activities to championing environmental efforts.
We feel fortunate to be part of the Little Rock community and are committed to making this a great place for families to live, work, and play.
Message from the Site Manager, Russ Bryan
Our workforce includes expert machine operators; engineers; quality, safety and environmental professionals; production-line workers; maintenance mechanics and systems technicians. Collectively, our operation offers many career opportunities, and those will continue to grow as more and more of our “baby boomer” employees retire. It’s a trend seen by companies across America. The baby boomer generation of skilled workers will retire within the next 5 to 15 years, creating the need for an estimated 10 million new workers across the nation by 2020.
At 3M Little Rock, we recognize the importance of introducing young people to diverse career opportunities, including those offered within the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) areas. That’s why we regularly host students to learn about 3M Little Rock, the products we create, and the skills we use to do our work. It is an honor and privilege to help educate our young adults about the many career possibilities that await them. We’re fortunate to have schools and businesses that provide incredible potential for growth and prosperity in Little Rock, Arkansas. We are proud to be part of that future.
History of 3M Little Rock
3M Little Rock is one of four plants that produce product for 3M’s Industrial Minerals Products Division. The Little Rock facility supports the southern and southeastern parts of the U.S. roofing market.
3M Little Rock has a long history in Arkansas. The plant operates in two separate sites – College Station and Arch Street. The College Station facility was originally built in 1947 to produce roofing granules for a growing roofing US market. In 1950, Big Rock Stone and Material Company was acquired to provide a stable supply of nepheline syenite, the base mineral for our roofing granules.
The mineral is an igneous rock that has physical properties desirable for roofing granules. These properties include resistance to decomposition from weather, consistent quality for the ceramic coloring process, and an opacity to ultraviolet light rays that can deteriorate the asphalt coating.
3M Little Rock Facts
- 3M started manufacturing roofing granules in Little Rock in 1947
- Primary product: roofing granules for the asphalt shingle industry for the Industrial Mineral Products Division
- Shipping capability from 3M Little Rock: railcars, bulk trucks, and bags
- Roofing granules made here are marketed in 14 states and used around the world
3M is a market leader in the manufacturing of roofing granules. We operate four facilities in the United States where we quarry, crush, screen, and coat granules for use as the key component in asphalt shingles. The granules we make in Little Rock and other 3M locations ultimately become part of effective and beautiful roofing materials seen on millions of homes in the United States.
3M™ Classic Roofing Granules provide long-lasting‚ weather-resistant protection in an array of colors. Our granules are dense‚ non-porous and UV-ray resistant. Made of a natural mineral product coated in ceramic‚ the granules meet the toughest tests of time‚ weather, and marketplace. Classic roofing granules from 3M are available in over 20 elegant colors to enhance any home.
The Scotchgard Algae Resistant Roofing System from 3M guards against roof algae for up to 20 years. The system uses copper roofing granules from 3M to prevent algae growth‚ protecting the roof and preserving the home’s beauty.
3M Little Rock Products & Services
- Roofing Granules
- Algae Resistant Roofing Granules
- Regular Roofing Granules
- NS200 & NS700 Fill Materials
- Aggregate Rock for Road Base or Landscaping
At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives every day. Our innovations spring from more than 40 technology platforms that have made us the global leader in major markets. Technologies we employ at the Little Rock site include:
- Sustainable Mining
- Crushing and Screening (Cs)
- Ceramic Coating (Ce)
- Process Design and Control (Pr)
- World-wide global logistics / distribution
- Global sourcing
- Contract negotiations
- Supplier quality management (TQRDC)
- Lean Six Sigma
- Integrated Lean Management System
- New Product Introduction
- Cross-functional Total Safety Culture Team
- EHS expertise
- Documentation Control Systems
The warm southern hospitality of the capital city, its unique collection of world-class attractions, as well as low average cost of living makes Little Rock a wonderful place to live, work, and play, as well as raise a family in Arkansas.
Little Rock is the state capital of Arkansas. Because of its thriving “new south” culture, Little Rock is now known as The Rock. It is located in the center of the state in Pulaski County and is the largest city in Arkansas. According to the 2010 census, the population of Little Rock is 193,524. If one were to factor in the cities of Pulaski County (382,748), metropolitan statistical area (699,793) and region (1,027,519), the population increases substantially to well over a million. The surrounding area is served by the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport (Adams Field). The city of Memphis, Tennessee, is only two hours east on Interstate 40. The Little Rock Air Force Base (located just north of North Little Rock) is the only C-130 training base for the department of defense. Large public corporations and smaller family owned businesses make for a diverse business community.
Residents and visitors frequent the heart of the city, which is the River Market District located downtown on the banks of the Arkansas River, for the finest southern cuisine and restaurants, vibrant entertainment, an eclectic mix of shopping, outdoor activities and the William J. Clinton Presidential Center. The Clinton Presidential Center and Park is located in the rejuvenated downtown area that is accessible to approximately 24 miles of trail systems of parks and pedestrian bridges that run along both sides of the Arkansas River. Little Rock has several world-class attractions such as history and science museums, art galleries, parks, golf courses, ice-skating, farmers market, zoo, and more to suit your interest, budget, and time.
From volunteerism and contributions by employees and retirees to cash donations, product donations, and active community partnerships‚ 3Mgives works to strengthen education and enhance the quality of life in 3M communities. Together with the gifts of time and skill from thousands of employee and retiree volunteers‚ 3M reaches out to address some of the overwhelming concerns of the day involving education‚ youth‚ and community issues. Of particular interest are science and math education and youth development. Each year‚ we invest more than $58 million in 3M communities throughout the United States. A few of the exciting partnerships developed in Little Rock have been:
- Our House – Homeless Families (food, shelter, education and work readiness)
- Junior Achievement K-12 Classroom Teaching
- Hubx-NextGen at The Innovation Hub
- Annual Head of the Class Bash – Backpacks and school supplies
- Riverfest – Annual Art & Music Event
- Significant cash EcoGrant and employee’s help to beautify Audubon Arkansas
- Little Rock Police and Fire Departments
- 3M Product Donations for Schools and Non-Profits
- Boys & Girls Club JA in a Day Education & Tours
- Abused Women & Children’s Shelter
- Little Rock Food Bank
- Economics Arkansas-Stock Market Gam
- Tornado Disaster Relief – Cash and 3M Product Donation
- College Station Fourth of July Parade
- United Way
- Engineering Scholars – Student Education/Employment Day & Tours
- University of Little Rock Engineering & IT Partnership
- Pulaski Technical College Partnership
- Junior Achievement and City of Little Rock Workforce Readiness Committee
- Summer Jobs Alliance
- Spark Entrepreneur Program
- Citywide Lesson Session at Non-Profits