Greetings from 3M Fairmont
3M is a global innovation company that never stops inventing. Over the years, we have worked to improve daily life for hundreds of millions of people all over the world. We have made driving at night easier, made buildings safer, and made consumer electronics lighter, less energy-intensive and less harmful to the environment. We even helped put a man on the moon.
Every day at 3M, one idea always leads to the next, igniting momentum to make progress possible around the world.
3M Fairmont, Minnesota
Since 1946, 3M Fairmont has been an integral member of the Fairmont community. We feel very fortunate to be a part of this community and are committed to making this a great place for families to live, work, and play. We’re proud of the ways 3M and our employees give back to the community.
Located in the heart of the city, 3M Fairmont sits on over 70 acres and produces products for a variety of 3M businesses, serving primarily industrial, consumer, and electronic markets.
Message from the Site Manager, Lora Muilenburg
3M Fairmont employees include skilled production workers, engineers, safety specialists, quality assurance, supply chain analysts, and multi-skilled craftsman. Collectively, our operations offer many career opportunities.
At 3M, we recognize the growing need and importance of introducing young people to diverse career opportunities, including those within Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), as well as Mechatronics. We have been proud to partner with local schools in events such as Mathcounts and Camp Invention for younger students and hosting Mechatronics senior high students for career days. It is a true honor and privilege to educate our young adults about the various career possibilities that await them. We are fortunate to have excellent schools and businesses in this community that provide incredible potential for growth and prosperity in Fairmont. We are proud to be a part of that future.
Lora Muilenburg, Site Manager at 3M Fairmont
- 3M Technology Advancing Every Company
- 3M Products Enhancing Every Home
- 3M Innovation Improving Every Life
3M Fairmont Timeline:
- 1946: Abrasives converting began in a rented facility.
- 1957: Present site opened for ribbon manufacturing.
- 1960-80: Mask manufacturing was added.
- 1972: 3M™ Scotchmate™ Hook and Loop Fasteners manufacturing began and continues today.
- 1975: 3M™ Bumpon™ Protective Products manufacturing began and continues today.
- 1980: 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners manufacturing began and continues today.
- 1985: Urethane Rollstock manufacturing began and continues today.
- 1985-88: Ear plugs were manufactured at the plant.
- 1988-96: Bushings manufacturing was conducted at the plant.
- 1993-97: High Performance Adhesives were made at the plant.
- 1994-96: Viscoelastic Dampers were made at the plant.
- 1995-97: Acoustic Composite Mufflers were manufactured at the plant.
- 1996: TacFast Carpet Tape and Mechanical Diaper Fastening Systems were manufactured at the plant. 3M™ Dual Lock™ Piece Parts manufacturing began and continues today.
- 2007: EBL Bright Fastening Products manufactured at the plant and continues today.
- 2015: EBL-V Fastening Products and Clear Track Fiber Pathway products began at the plant and continues today.
3M is a global science company that never stops inventing. Using 46 technology platforms, our integrated team of scientists and researchers works with customers to create breakthroughs. Our inventions have improved daily life for hundreds of millions of people all over the world.
3M is a pioneer in developing and applying technologies in new and groundbreaking ways. At 3M Fairmont, we are proud to represent and support the following technologies in helping to provide solutions to challenges around the world by applying science to life:
- Adhesive Coating (Ac)
- Bumpon™ Product Making (Bu)
- Die Cutting (Dc)
- Dual Lock™ Product Making (Dl)
- Extruding (Ex)
- Laminating (La)
- Non-Woven Making (Nw)
- Slitting (Sl)
3M Fairmont produces a variety of industrial, consumer, and electrical products serving several markets.
- 3M™ Hook and Loop Fasteners
- 3M™ Dual Lock™ Reclosable Fasteners
- 3M™ Dual Lock™ Piece Parts
- 3M™ Bumpon™ Protective Products
- EBL Bright and EBL V Fastening Products
- Clear Track Fiber Pathway
- Automotive and Transportation
- General Industrial
- Dual Lock
- Hook and Loop
Fairmont is centrally located along I-90 and Highway 15, just two hours directly east of Sioux Falls, S.D., and 2½ hours southwest of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minn.
Our location in the "Heart of the Midwest" is a great place to bring together friends, family or colleagues for business. Our area lakes are a popular site for recreational activities any time of the year. You will find many sites to visit, such as the Fairmont Opera House, Pioneer Museum, and Heritage Acres. Our recreational opportunities include an Aquatic Park, soccer fields, softball diamonds, volleyball courts, a variety of public and private 18-hole golf courses, and much more. We are proud of the beauty, history and prosperity of our city and surrounding area.
3M The Fairmont Plant has a long tradition of Community Involvement. The emphasis of our Giving is Education.
- Mechatronics Partnership and Site Event
- Mathcounts Sponsorship and Site Event
- First Robotics
- Supplies for Schools
- Junior Achievement
- Grades 5-8 Lego Robotics
- MN Zoomobile to Elementary School
- Fairmont High School Science & Math
- Fairmont Elementary, Books
- Martin Count West Schools, hands-on Science
- Martin Luther High School, renewable energy
- Granada Huntley East Chain Schools, S.T.E.A.M. Project
- Camp Invention
- Numerous Products Donations
- Area Career Exploration
- Supplies for Nonprofits
- Opera House Children’s Theatre
- United Way
- Heritage Day Parade
- Meals on Wheels
- Blood Drives
- Public Utilities Commission
- Martin County Leadership