Greetings from 3M Cottage Grove
3M is a global innovation company that never stops inventing. Over the years, we have worked to improve daily life for hundreds of millions of people all over the world. We have made driving at night easier, made buildings safer, and made consumer electronics lighter, less energy-intensive and less harmful to the environment. We even helped put a man on the moon.
Every day at 3M, one idea always leads to the next, igniting momentum to make progress possible around the world.
Welcome to 3M Cottage Grove, Minnesota
3M Cottage Grove produces a great many things. You may be surprised to learn just how much of what we do here touches your daily life. All of the following and more utilize 3M products whose roots are right here.
- Post-it® notes and Scotch® Magic™ tape
- Your car's catalytic converter and gleaming clear coat finish
- Reflective road signs and license plates
- Your front door and your kitchen cabinet door
- The finish on your golf clubs
- The screen on your flat screen TV, laptop computer or cell phone
As an integral member of the community for more than over 65 years, we’ve been helping 3M bring innovative and useful products to generations of satisfied customers.
One of the core values of 3M has always been our commitment to the communities where we live and work. We’re proud of the ways 3M and our employees give back to the community, from participating in volunteer activities to championing environmental efforts.
We feel fortunate to be part of the Cottage Grove community and are committed to making this a great place for families to live, work and play.
LIKE A SMALL CITY
Spread over 1,750 acres along the Mississippi River, 3M Cottage Grove is a virtual, self-sufficient city because of our infrastructure. We pump, process and treat our own water in addition to providing essential safety and security services.
With operations in 35 different buildings, more than 700 people work here, many of them long-time employees… and many of them family members. The site supplies nearly every one of 3M’s businesses and divisions, making us one of the most diverse 3M sites in the world.
- Multiple 3M divisions have operations here.
- Our production facilities supply finished products to customers around the world.
- Pilot plants determine the feasibility of new products, technologies and applications.
- The 3M corporate incinerator is a safe, environmentally sound way to dispose of industrial waste.
- The site’s wastewater treatment plant continues to earn positive commendations from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
Six 3M Divisions Call Us Home:
- Abrasives Systems Division (ASD)
- Automotive Division (AD)
- Electronics Markets Materials Division (EMMD)
- Film Manufacturing Supply Chain Operations (FMSCO)
- Industrial Adhesives and Tape Division (IATD)
- Materials Resource Division (MRD)
Message from the Site Director
Encompassing 1750 acres, over 1,500,000 square feet in 35 buildings, and almost 800 employees, 3M Cottage Grove is a unique blend of research and development through our pilot plants, and manufacturing through our multiple manufacturing plants. We utilize most of 3M’s technology platforms on site and touch a large number of 3M’s divisions. From product concept to disposal, we strive to be among the most efficient, effective, and agile sites in 3M.
3M Cottage Grove is not only the city’s largest private employer — it’s the most diverse when it comes to careers. Our 700-plus employees include scientists and engineers, expert machine operators and skilled craftspeople, safety specialists, security officers, and pilot-plant technicians. Collectively, our operations offer many career opportunities. And those will continue to grow as more and more of our “baby boomer” employees retire. It’s a trend seen by companies across America. The baby boomer generation of skilled workers will retire within the next five to 15 years, creating the need for an estimated 10 million new workers across the nation by 2020.
At 3M Cottage Grove, we recognize the importance of introducing young people to diverse career opportunities, including those offered within the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) areas. That’s why we created our first-ever Career Day in 2011, which we have since repeated multiple times. We have been proud to bring local high school students onto our manufacturing site to “show and tell” them about our many operations and job opportunities. It is an honor and privilege to help educate our young adults about the many career possibilities that await them. We’re fortunate to have excellent schools and businesses that provide incredible potential for growth and prosperity in Cottage Grove.
We are proud to be part of that future, and we are proud to be a part of the community here in the Cottage Grove Area.
Mike Bahma, Site Director
3M Cottage Grove Center
History of 3M Cottage Grove
Since its founding in 1902 at Two Harbors, Minnesota, 3M Company has incorporated values and innovative thinking that make 3M unique. Perseverance, ingenuity and creativity have made 3M a success for over 100 years.
For years, people around the world have looked to 3M for products and ideas that solve problems and make their lives easier and better. Our achievements are reflected in a proud past and are the foundation for a bright future of many innovations to come.
Since 1948, 3M Cottage Grove has been a major factor in many of 3M's achievements, and will continue to be in the future.
- Initial construction began in 1947 on 3M Cottage Grove Center. A boiler building as well as two manufacturing buildings were erected.
- Employees moved into their offices in 1948. Originally the site was called the 3M Hastings plant.
- Aggrecoat was the first product produced here.
- Three new buildings were built.
- "Chemolite" was adopted as the name of the plant. It was derived from Chemical and Scotchlite, the first two operations at the site.
- The first Family Day was held.
- Scotchgard™ Fabric Protector was invented and 3M Cottage Grove became the original manufacturing location of this widely used product.
- The first Children's Day at 3M Cottage Grove Center was held, and youngsters were shown how to use a fire extinguisher to put out a fire.
- Products produced at 3M Cottage Grove Center play major roles in lunar exploration:
- 3M material on the lunar module helped guide the astronauts around the surface of the moon.
- 3M oxide was used in the videotapes that carried the astronauts' Holiday messages to people on Earth.
- 3M™ Scotchtint™ Sun Control Window film was developed at 3M Cottage Grove. This film helps keep your home cooler in summer, warmer in winter, and protects your furniture and carpet from damaging ultraviolet rays.
- 3M Scotchlite™ High Intensity Grade Reflective Sheeting was developed at 3M Cottage Grove Center. It enhances the weatherability and durability of reflective sheeting, giving longer life to highway signs - and providing a safer drive home.
- The largest printing plate in the world is created at 3M Cottage Grove Center and used to print billboards, posters and dress patterns.
- 3M Chemolite celebrates its 25th anniversary in 1973.
- Post-it Notes are created by 3Mer Art Fry. The adhesives for Post-it Notes and Scotch™ Magic™ Tape were produced at 3M Cottage Grove Center.
- 3M Cottage Grove celebrated Earth Day and 2,500 pine seedlings were planted on site.
- 3M Cottage Grove celebrates its 50th anniversary in 1998, with a community celebration..
- Cottage Grove Center security is upgraded to ensure employee and community safety.
- Construction is completed on a new wastewater treatment plant.
- 3M Foundation partners with South Washington County Schools Education Foundation and the Washington County Sheriff's Office to keep the Drug Sniffing Dog Program on Track.
- A 3M grant provides area school buses with emissions-control devices so buses run cleaner.
- 3M Foundation partners with 3M Cottage Grove, Youth Service Bureau & Washington County Library to create the Library Leaders program, to identify and develop future youth leaders.
- 3M Cottage Grove Celebrated it's 60 Year anniversary in 2008 with an on site employee family event and a raptor release at the Carpenter Nature Center with the community.
3M is a pioneer in developing and applying technologies in new and groundbreaking ways. 3M Cottage Grove manufactures product for a number of 3M divisions. This makes it a very unique Manufacturing Facility with many different technologies.
Thousands of 3M Products have their roots here. 3M manufacturing facilities span the globe, and many of them rely on products, components, or processes that originated at 3M Cottage Grove. 3M pilot plants and the corporate incinerator are also located here.
The primary products produced here include:
- Chemicals and Specialty Materials
- Cubitron™ II Abrasives
- Glass bubbles
- Industrial Tapes
- Sintered Abrasives
- Specialty films
- Pilot Plants
- Traffic Safety Systems Process
Various combinations of these result in tens of thousands of different products. Abrasives combined with adhesives, think sandpaper. Adhesives with film, you end up with one of many Scotch tapes. And on and on.
Welcome to Cottage Grove, Minnesota!
Cottage Grove is a vibrant community of 30,000 residents with a strong manufacturing and retail economy. We are located approximately eight miles southeast of Minnesota's "Twin Cities" of St. Paul and Minneapolis at US 61 and Innovation Road. Settled in the 1840's with the creation of the Langdon and "Old Cottage Grove" villages, Cottage Grove is now one of the fastest-growing communities in Minnesota, facing a bright future.
General Cottage Grove Information
- Date Established: 1843
- School District: 833
- County: Washington County
- 2015 Population: 34,689
- 1990 Population: 22,935
3M is located in Cottage Grove, Minn., at the southernmost part of Washington County on the Mississippi River, 17 miles south of St. Paul, Minn. It is 15 miles south of 3M Center, Corporate Headquarters in Maplewood, Minn., in a suburban/rural setting.
Sharing Our Success with the Community
3M Cottage Grove’s prosperity and success have translated into support for many community causes and organizations – support that includes financial contributions as well as volunteer efforts by many 3M employees and retirees. As Cottage Grove’s largest private employer, 3M has been a good neighbor in the city for over 60 years.
Here are some of the groups we continue working with:
- Junior Achievement
- Carpenter St.Croix Valley Nature Center
- Friends of the Mississippi River (FMR)
- Wildlife Habitat Council
- Canine Exercise/Practice Facility
- Youth Safety Camp
- Youth Service Bureau (YSB)
- Education Foundation for South Washington County Schools
- Drug-Sniffing Dog
- Stuff for Schools Program
- 3M Visiting Wizards
- Friends in Need Food Shelf
- United Way
- Stone Soup Thrift Shop
- Cottage Grove Strawberry Fest
- Friends In Need Food Shelf
- Adopt a Family – Holidays
- Hastings Family Services
- Hastings Rivertown Days
- Prescott Daze
Site Director: 651-458-2001
Transportation & Freight for 3M Cottage Grove: 651-458-2334
3M Cottage Grove Center
10746 Innovation Road
Cottage Grove, Minnesota 55016-4600