Greetings from 3M Aberdeen
3M is a global innovation company that never stops inventing. Over the years, we have worked to improve daily life for hundreds of millions of people all over the world. We have made driving at night easier, made buildings safer, and made consumer electronics lighter, less energy-intensive and less harmful to the environment. We even helped put a man on the moon.
Every day at 3M, one idea always leads to the next, igniting momentum to make progress possible around the world.
3M Aberdeen, South Dakota
We are a world-class manufacturing facility located in the northeast region of South Dakota. 3M Aberdeen manufactures high quality, economical disposable respirators for the Personal Safety Division, Infection Prevention Division and Construction and Home Improvement Markets Division, along with adhesive tapes for the Automotive Division, Industrial Adhesives & Tapes Division, Aerospace Division and Electronics Markets Materials Division.
Our respirators are approved by government agencies for use by small and large manufacturing companies worldwide with exposure to workplace hazards associated with activities such as welding, foundry, pesticides, sanding, abrasive blasting, construction and abatement. 3M Aberdeen also produces Filtrete® brand furnace filters to remove dusts and allergens from homes. Our adhesive tapes are used in attachment applications in the automotive industry, as well as a variety of specialty joining applications in various industries.
- To be the global Site of Choice in the safe production of respiratory, filtration and tape products, leading our industries through team inspired solutions that deliver results, protect people and improve lives.
Our Quality Is Our Customers’ Safety.
- 3M Technology Advancing Every Company
- 3M Products Enhancing Every Home
- 3M Innovation Improving Every Life
- Safety culture of zero. Everyone goes home safe every day.
- Ethics, integrity and trustworthiness. We respect and care for each other, our environment and the community
- We understand and meet customers’ needs. Our quality is our customers’ safety.
- We deliver value to our company, using resources wisely, with accountability for results
- We are committed to developing ourselves.
- We are all problem solvers, committed to continuous improvement and cutting-edge innovation
3M Aberdeen Facts
- Plant opened in 1974.
- 430,000 sq. ft. on 160 acres.
- 12,000+ products manufactured and serves 13 divisions.
- 3M has contributed over $4 million in charitable contributions to South Dakota.
- 3M Aberdeen is the single highest contributor to the United Way of Northeastern South Dakota.
Awards and Accolades
- 2012 Abby Award from the Aberdeen Area Chamber of Commerce
- 2012 South Dakota Community Leadership Award
- 2012 Hub Area Habitat for Humanity Supporter of the Year
- 2012 OHSA Voluntary Protection Program
- 2013 Received Corporate EHS Award for BMF Recycler (to 2M lbs/year)
- 2013 Industry Week Best US Manufacturing Plant Award
- 2014 Corporate Ergonomics Team Award for Rando Automation
- 2014 SD Governors Award (Safety Council Workplace Safety & Health)
- 2014 OSHA VPP Decade of Excellence
- 2015 Corporate Energy Excellence and Corporate Energy Platinum Awards
- 2015 Sustainability Environmental Stewardship Achievement
- 2016 US Department of Energy “Gold” certified plant April 2016
- 2016 2M Hours Lost Time Injury Free July 2016
- 2016 Corporate Noise Reduction Project Award
*Annually +20 ‘3P’ projects: >1.4M lbs. solid waste, >750 tons CO2, >$3M Savings
History of 3M Aberdeen
3M has led the world in innovation and manufacturing since 1902. After 72 years of dedication to innovation and quality, 3M needed expanded production of disposable respirators to address the growing national concerns about the hazards posed by inhaling certain dusts and fumes. In 1974, 3M opened a 20,000-square-foot plant in Aberdeen to fill that need and immediately broke ground on a new building site. One year later, 3M Aberdeen moved operations into the new building.
After more than 40 years of operation, five building expansions, and numerous product additions, we continue to exceed customer expectations by producing quality products and services in a safe, efficient, innovative manufacturing environment with employees who participate in the workplace and the community.
Key Historic Milestones for 3M Aberdeen
- 3M Aberdeen came to the rescue for the people of eastern Washington State immediately following the Mt. St. Helens eruption on May 18, 1980. 3M Aberdeen's respirator masks would serve a vital role in helping the victims and survivors to breathe more comfortably and to be able to endure the volcanic dust, ash and debris.
- OSHA recognized 3M Aberdeen for its role in providing respirators to the rescue/cleanup efforts immediately following the tragedy at the Twin Towers. When tragedy hit New York City on 9/11/01, 3M Aberdeen responded immediately by sending respirators to New York City within 24 hours. 3M Aberdeen would also be called upon again within a few weeks of 9/11 to supply respirators to protect against the threat of Anthrax against U.S. government agencies.
- 3M Aberdeen ramped up its production of respirators when the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) virus hit Asia and North America. Aberdeen respirators were supplied to countries all around the world during the epidemic outbreak of SARS in 2003.
- In 2005, 3M Aberdeen was called upon to help stop the spread of Avian Flu, also known as the Bird Flu. Strong demand kept the plant running 24 hours and 7 days a week until the threat would be eliminated. Later, during the summer of 2005, Hurricane's Katrina and Rita would strike the southern central United States, and 3M Aberdeen was able to help by providing respirators to the affected states in their cleanup efforts.
- In 2009, 3M Aberdeen employees worked around the clock, 24 hours/7 days a week for approximately 12 months to produce high quality, economical filtering facepiece respirators to respond to the H1N1 (also known as Swine Flu) outbreak. During this outbreak, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released interim recommendations for facemask and respirator use to help reduce novel Influenza A (H1N1) virus transmission. Its website included a picture of one of the respirators manufactured by 3M Aberdeen as an illustration of a NIOSH-approved respirator. 3M’s respirator meets the N95 standard, which means the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) tested and approved it to have a filtration efficiency not less than 95 percent of airborne particles.
- In 2014 Ebola struck, and 3M Aberdeen responded. Africa battled Ebola and 3M Aberdeen provided product to help, running 24-7 to get product to the people who needed it. In addition 3M came forward with a donation of 1 million respirators (made in 3M Aberdeen). 3M donated the product to the African organizations most needing support.
- Similarly, when the Middle East and Asia struggled to control their outbreak of MERS in 2015, 3M Aberdeen stepped up to the plate to help. Our teams rallied to provide the 3M respiratory products that protect and keep communities and families safe.
3M is a pioneer in developing and applying technologies in new and groundbreaking ways. At 3M Aberdeen, we employ the following technologies:
- Adhesives (Ad)
- Advanced Material (Am)
- Energy Components (Ec)
- Flexible Converting and Packaging (Fc)
- Electronic Materials (Em)
- Filtration, Separation & Purification (Fs)
- Inspection and Measurement (In)
- Films (Fi)
- Molding (Mo)
- Non Wovens (Nw)
- Polymer Melt Processing (Pm)
- Process Design and Control (Pr)
- Radiation Processing (Rp)
- Surface Modifications (Su)
- Vapor Processing (Vp)
- Wound Management (Wo)
3M Aberdeen manufactures respirators for the Personal Safety Division and the Construction and Home Improvement Markets Division at 3M. We sell business to business, through distributors, retail and directly to customers. These products and markets have been growing steadily overtime.
3M Aberdeen provides respirators and filter web for industrial welding, painting, health care, construction, and home improvement applications. Whether a customer needs protection from dangerous fumes produced in some chemical operations or relief from a dusty environment, 3M Aberdeen provides the products that are relied on worldwide.
The 3M Aberdeen facility is experienced and capable at being responsive to changes in customer demand. There has been significant demand increases associated with world events such SARS, H1N1, the Tsunami that devastated Japan and damaged the nuclear facilities, and most recently Ebola. The 3M Aberdeen teams are flexible and responsive to ensure 3M can supply and meet customer demand with quality product.
3M Aberdeen supplies a diverse range of tape products into Electronics, Automotive, Industrial, Aerospace and Health Care Applications including acrylic plus tapes solar applications, automotive attachment tapes that go into 33 million vehicles a year, aerospace films and coatings such as the coatings that go onto military helicopter blades to both extend their life from abrasive wear/tear but also to enable them to land dark at night in the sand (prevents sand from sparking on the blades) films and finally industrial transfer tapes.
Products & Services
3M Safety & Graphics Business Group
- 3M™ Filtering Facepiece Particulate Respirators
- 3M™ Class 100 Particulate Respirators
- 3M™ RR Facepiece Respirator Filters
- 3M™ Oil Sorbents
3M Consumer Business Group
- 3M™ DR Particulate Respirators
- 3M™ RR Particulate Respirator Filters
- Filtrete™ High Performance Furnace Filters
- Flat Fold Respirators
3M Industrial Business Group
- 3M™ Adhesive Transfer Tapes (ATT)
- 3M™ ATG Adhesive Transfer Tapes
- 3M™ Foam Tapes
- 3M™ Splicing Tapes
- 3M™ Adhesives for Automotive Weather Stripping
- 3M™ Adhesives for Automotive Exterior Moldings and Name Plates
- 3M™ Adhesives for Electromagnetic Connectors
- 3M™ Aerospace Protective Films
3M Health Care Business Group
- 3M™ Surface Saver Tape
- 3M™ Adhesives for Medical Drape
- 3M™ Medical Tapes
- 3M™ Medical Repirators
- 3M™ Dental Masks
Aberdeen has a population of approximately 25,000 people and is located in the northeast region of South Dakota. The city of Aberdeen was nicknamed the "Hub City" because it served as an important intersection for many busy railroad lines in the early to mid 1900s.
Over time, the "Hub City" has grown into a diverse, regional trade center with service and manufacturing industries, attractive retail shopping venues, superb convention facilities, great schools, a private college, a state university, and two major medical centers serving the area. In 2008 the city of Aberdeen received the Governor's Community of the Year Award for job growth and business development.
The Aberdeen plant site is approximately a five and one half hour drive west of the 3M Center in St. Paul, MN. Aberdeen is a three-hour drive south of Fargo, North Dakota, a three-hour drive southeast of Bismark, ND, and a three-hour drive north of Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
3M enjoys being part of Aberdeen and strives to give back to the community. 3M Aberdeen has supported its employees’ volunteer efforts in a variety of educational, health and human services, arts, civic, environmental and community affairs. 3M Aberdeen contributes time and finances annually to various efforts in Aberdeen and across South Dakota to help improve the community we call home.
Supporting our community is valued at 3M Aberdeen. 3M is proud to be part of the Aberdeen community by providing financial support, product donations, and volunteer assistance by our 3M employees and retirees for a wide variety of educational, health and human services, arts, and civic/community affairs organizations.
3M Supported Programs:
- Aberdeen Central High School
- Aberdeen Elementary Schools
- Aberdeen Roncalli High School
- Alexandra Mitchell Library
- Junior Achievement
- Northern State University
- Presentation College
- Lake Area Technical Institute
- High School Fund Raising Board
- Donors Choose for Schools
- SADD (Students Against Drunk Drivers)
- Destination Imagination
- Supplies for Schools
- Women in Science
Health & Human Services
- Boys and Girls Club
- South Dakota 4H Foundation – Character Counts
- Lutheran Social Services - New Beginnings Center
- Salvation Army
- United Way
- Aberdeen Area Senior Center
- Safe Harbor
- Aberdeen Cancer Society - Relay for Life
- Storybook Land
- Aberdeen Community Theater
- Dakota Prairie Museum
- Aberdeen Area Arts Council
- Granary Rural Cultural Center
- Brown County Fair Board
- South Dakota Public Broadcasting
- South Dakota Safety Council
- Industrial Advisory Committee
- Habitat for Humanity
- Aberdeen Airport Committee
- Aberdeen Chamber of Commerce
- Aberdeen Soccer Association
- Camp Dream Makers
- Back On Track Long Term Disaster Recovery
- Aberdeen Sertoma Club – Story Book Land
- Boy & Girl Scouts
- Volunteers of America
- Special Olympics